Sponsored by:

A personal note

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Default A personal note

Hi Everyone
Just thought I would add a personal note hear. One of my sons lives in Japan. He went there about 5 years ago to do a 1 year stint teaching english to young Japanese students. While he was there he met a Japanese girl and they started going out. After his 1 year was up he came back home and Miyuki his girlfriend came to visit a couple of times over a year and a half but although she would love to move here, her mother is very sick, on daily dialysis and so for now that wasn't an option.
Christian my son ended up getting a Visa and going back to Japan about 3 years ago, he works teaching and they got married a couple of years ago and 2 month ago Miyuki gave birth to a beautiful Grand-daughter for us.

As all of you know there was the earthquake epicentered outside of Sendai and then of course the tsunami. My son lives in Sendai. He got on Facebook right after the earthquake and said that he was OK but then we didn't hear anything after the tsunami for a couple of days. Of course he didn't have power or water or anything else for that matter. He finally got through and told us they were all OK but things were tough over there and he did get water restored to their place but he was in a very small minority.

Then the nuclear plant in Fukishima hits the news and Sendai is about 100KM away so....Took about a week but this past weekend he and his wife, daughter and 12 year old sister in law got out to Tokyo and from there headed south down to a city near the southern tip of the island. His Mother and Father in law couldn't get out due to her situation with dialysis but are expected to get out within a week.

I just passed on this note because it put into focus for me the disaster over there. Unlike most of the time, like in Haiti I felt terrible for the people there but at the same time a bit removed, we donated to the Red Cross and that was it. This time of course we were in a state of panic for 2 days, then somewhat relieved, then again as the nuclear crisis grew again in a state of panic, then somewhat relieved again. But we have been more active in getting support over to the people in Japan.

If any of you have already donated to the Red Cross thank you. For those of you that haven't please do, the Japanese need all of our help although they would never consider getting on CNN and asking, it is simply not in their culture to do so. I have attached a link for a local event a friend of my son is putting on, there is a direct link from there to donate to the Red Cross.

Vancouver Japan Relief Walk of Hope

Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Im glad to hear there ok. Must of felt like forever when you didnt hear from them. I wish them luck and hope everything turns out ok.