XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

So I went to Home Depot...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default So I went to Home Depot...

And thought I'd run in for a couple things I needed.

XJ8 running beautifully...hand washed in the morning...shining...

Jumped in...drove over to HD. Careful to park one space away on both sides from other denizens making their weekly offering to the big orange box store.

Car 2 spaces to my left is a non-descript family van. 2 spaces to the right is an electrical contractor truck. One space open on both sides of where I slotted in.

Came out. Truck gone. Popped the trunk to put my stuff in...but what did I see:

No note. No nothing. Dent is the size of 1.5" conduit. Almost perfectly.

Some people are just suppurating A##ho**s. Truly. No respect for another's property. I was raised (and passed it on to my stepson) that if you screw up, man up and at least admit you damaged someone else's property and offer to make it right. Not be a self-obsessed weasel and run off. Sheesh.

Body shop who did the rust and other work lined up for next week. Dave (my body shop wizard) just shook his head. Said it'll take a couple days...tap out, lead fill, recontour, prime, etc.

To say I'm NOT chuffed is probably right. Pi**ed is more like it.

Last edited by bdboyle; 09-28-2015 at 03:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bdboyle:
Don B (09-29-2015), King Charles (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Dude, that truly stinks. Very sorry!!

Old 09-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Probably a cowboys fan.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I feel your pain sir, just last week & only 3 weeks since obtaining this car. I came outside from watching a movie @ the cinema only to find this.

No note either, eerily there was a paint-less dent repair service van in the adjacent parking lot lol. Let's just hope he didn't send anything/one over there to literally drum up business.

Ironically I was watching the gangster chronicle that is "Straight Outta Compton" which is fitting as I felt like decimating the parking lot upon discovering this lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 09-28-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Feeling your pain for sure.
Good thing is, that it seems you got a competent body shop guy, here that should be the next pain.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Mine has received a varying range of quotes from 150$ to 450$ lol. My old trusty body guy has retired & I'm in researching shop pedigree mode lol.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Yeah, it's like that commercial with an empty parking lot and the guy parks in the middle and some lunatic parks six inches from him and bangs the door on his car. It seems like there is nothing you can do. And Home Despot is horrible with the trucks and the small spaces. King Charles, that is a strange place for a dent

Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Yeah, it's like that commercial with an empty parking lot and the guy parks in the middle and some lunatic parks six inches from him and bangs the door on his car. It seems like there is nothing you can do. And Home Despot is horrible with the trucks and the small spaces. King Charles, that is a strange place for a dent
I know, it looks as if it were banged with a rubber mallet or bar, hence my suspicion with the paint-less dent removal van so close w/ perfect timing. It happened in a large USMC based town. I know from experience we/they can get a bit rowdy lol.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Parked my truck 100 yards from anybody.
Nothing in sight..
Windy day.. Come out to find a shopping carriage against the door. Now the only ding on that side..

Old 09-28-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Happened to me on vacation once down along the Penninsula in VA...new Caddy Sedan deVille...went to Williamsburg for a few days, car never moved, parked all the way at the end of the parking lot under a light, no one around...time for vacation to end...pack the land yacht up, and drive back up, stopping at one of the James River plantations for a tour. Again...parked all the way out at the end of an empty lot.

Came out of the tour, and there was a white van parked in the next space on the driver side. The lot was 90% EMPTY, but it was parked next to my shiny new Caddy. Van had NY plates on it...said to the missus "I bet they dinged my door". She said "Nah...that couldn't happen...". Note, I lived in NYC for 12 years, parked my new at the time rabbit in a private parking lot. ..and the passenger door looked, after 6 months, like someone had used it for a backstop on a driving range.

Yeah, whoever was riding shotgun in the front seat probably just swung the door open and yea, dinged my door hard enough to leave white paint behind on it as well as a fisheye dent.

Should have loosened the schrader valves on 2 of his tires. Was going to wait around, but missus didn't want to have a scene. PO'd me then too. Probably would have been an altercation...

People are just A**h***s. Especially around other people's nice things.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by King Charles
I know, it looks as if it were banged with a rubber mallet or bar, hence my suspicion with the paint-less dent removal van so close w/ perfect timing. It happened in a large USMC based town. I know from experience we/they can get a bit rowdy lol.

Feel for you, King Charles. Hope it gets mended soon. Yours looks like a PDR guy can work it out (they can do wonders...)...mine is missing paint...luckily same wing that had new metal spliced in a few months ago...and still have half a pint of the paint used to repair that section...so should be a good match.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hear that; if this ever happened to my Jag.. The suspect would be in a world of trouble. If possible ( and I may be wrong ) ask for the security tapes, usually there's one on every light post. I'd find out if you can do that to find the guilty party so you don't have to pay for the damages. Good luck! I hope your Jag has a speedy recovery; makes me sick when anyone does this to another's property.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Feel for you, King Charles. Hope it gets mended soon. Yours looks like a PDR guy can work it out (they can do wonders...)...mine is missing paint...luckily same wing that had new metal spliced in a few months ago...and still have half a pint of the paint used to repair that section...so should be a good match.
The Local paint-less guys have been all across the spectrum with quotes IE 150$-450$ makes me ponder exactly what's going on with their business models lol. All are fairly new with sparse reviews so I'm in research mode.

I'm picking up a family member's car from a local body shop this week, I'll inspect their work & if proper, I will have them handle the dent plus I have a clear coat bubble on the trunk lid panel I want fixed. After that she will be sitting as good as a 15 year old former daily driver can be lol.

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

This king of thing happens to me a lot...the dinging a few times on various cars. But the parking...I always park far out in the parking lot where nobody is around. I dont want scrapes and dings on my car. But every time...some dangus has to park next to me. Never fails. Went to the health food store yesterday with my wife and son...I kid you not the parking lot has maybe 10 other cars max, but I parked all the way at the end with one space to my left and 5 spaces to the right. We were in the store for maybe 10 minutes, then come outside and a full size family van squeezed its *** into the space to my left...mind you, there is a curb on the other side of that. And some Subaru wagon to my right. LUCKILY I had no scratches or dings after thoroughly checking both sides. What is it with these morons? "Oh look, a shiny nice looking car...lets go f*** sh** up!!"

Old 09-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Default Back into the body shop

Dropping it off tomorrow afternoon; have the half pint of paint left over from the previous repairs, so, will give that to Dave to reshoot the repair. He's charging me 3 hours total. Not bad (about $250) to fix. I'm ok with that...but would still like to find the bonehead who did it and introduce him to the small end of whatever it was that dropped on my fender.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Default Stopped by...and the work is ongoing

Stopped by my body guy's place... and seems he was able to work the metal up to take the ding out...but since it was stretched a bit, had to dolly and shrink manually...too badly bent for PDR. Oh well. At least I still have half a pint of the same paint he used to repair the dogleg on the same fender, so it should blend nicely (the paint towards the front of that same fender is only 3 months old...)

Sanded back to bare metal and lightly skim coated with filler. Under that is a light layer of lead filler to fill in some of the more obvious gouges in the metal. Dave uses both: lead to get the surface to where it needs to be, and poly as a skim coat for fine contouring.

Another shot; you can compare to the first photo in this string to see how far back from the original damage you have to work to do a good repair. That small ding ends up having to rework a lot larger surface just to blend in properly.

Stopping by the shop this afternoon; guess I'm bringing the Europa and XF to the "Brits in the Village" show tomorrow in Lahaska PA rather than the XJ. That's ok. An XF is a Brit car...if you're in the area, stop by and look me up, lots of great examples of fine machinery from the motherland.

The following 2 users liked this post by bdboyle:
convincor (10-13-2015), King Charles (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Mine's due back from paint today as well.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've long since learned that you cant leave any car unattended in todays world without having a problem.

My nice cars (inc the XJR) are never left anywhere unattended , the wifes X type sportwagon and my Toyota Tundra Truck both bare the scars and scratches as a result of being daily driven.

I read once that Jay Leno never leaves his good cars anywhere , just drives them in a big circle, out the garage and back in as its the only way he can keep them in good shape.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Well...closer to being finished. Sorry for the poor quality, but the booth was not THAT well lit when I looked in...

Just needs the claqr coat, polish out, and it will be done!

Old 10-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a deal with my wife of nearly 30 years. When drive the XK8 convertible, I park in the far corner of the lot, & she waits in the car. When she takes her 1980 Mercedes 450SL convertible out, we reverse the roles. Oh by the way, just in case, we both have a concealed weapons permit, & we use them. She also waits in the parking lot when we take the bike out. If we are both going to go inside, we take the old Subaru.

Quick Reply: So I went to Home Depot...