X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phantom lumbar support just appeared...seriously

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phantom lumbar support just appeared...seriously

So, I was in my non-lumbar support equipped 2004 3.0 and I leaned over to the passenger set to move it forward. As I leaned I heard a motor running (not the passenger seat moving). When I righted myself, I found the driver's seat to have a very different feel, as if the lumbar region suddenly popped out.

Is this crazy?

The only explanation I can come up with is that I must have popped a disk in my spine and that's what I was feeling? BUT, I have to ask, but is it possible the mechanics for a power lumbar are in my seat, but no controls...and I somehow triggered it by leaning all jabberwocky?

Or...is this just what happens when you are 46?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default More info...

Yeah, that's about the age when the aches and pains start gaining on you....

I have the power heated seats with 27 different positioning controls - but none of them seem to be the Lumbar support control, and I would like that to work too.

So can you tell me how to lean jabberwocky-like so that mine comes back to life? Or maybe you just popped a spring in the seat? Do these things have Lumbar support?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

You sure there isn't a switch? Rearward from the multifunction controls on the outside of the seat? It has a solid up arrow and outline down arrow. Only makes a noise when it's inflating.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 PM

SOLVED!!!! I feel like an idiot, but that's kinda normal, and I'm amongst friends who won't laugh at me too hard...I hope. My seats actually DO have power lumbar supports. It's controlled by the bottom of the seat recline control, push it forward to inflate, backwards to deflate. And, crazy enough, BOTH the driver and passenger seats have it. Man, I love Jaguars.

So, I lucked into finding this. The owner's manual didn't come with the car, so I bought one off of ebay...musta been the wrong half year, and it showed a lumbar switch separate from all the other controls on the side of the seat. So I assumed I didn't have that option and went about my business.

Well, waddya know.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ah! But how did "jabberwocky" leaning towards the passenger seat trigger a forward movement of the outboard side switch? That's the mystery. Spontaneous inflation is way more spellbinding than sudden deflation.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 AM

True...the mystery isn't completely solved, but I have a theory that again involves my lack of control over my body...I think I was sitting in my driveway at the time and my left foot was out of the open door, so when I leaned hard right, my foot must have lifted and actuated the seat control.

For all you righties out there, you understand that the left side of your body is only there for counterweight for the important things the right side of your body is doing.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks for this! I just found out that I too have lumbar support and I didn't have to get all twisted and such to find out!

Jason

Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL

A lot of people dont realize they have working foglights either... "You have to PULL the switch OUT?? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...."

Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 PM

That one I have figured out. The one that took me longer was to figure out what pulling the switch out twice did. I know it turns on some bright red lights on the back, but I'm not 100% sure why. I'm assuming for fog or adverse weather conditions.

Jason

Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Reverse fog lights.... Its a european car thing

Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love my rear foggies

Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think rear fogs are one of the most important safety features a car can have—in heavy rain or even just the spray after a heavy rain has finished, they make your car visible from several times further away than just your standard taillights. One of my favorite features of the X-Type.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Good thing my Kitty will never have a subsequent owner. I painted over my rear fogs. Pulling the switch out to the second stop won't do anything.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Back to the lumbar support thing: on my 05, the control to increase lumbar support runs a motor with an obvious inflation factor in the seat back. But the decrease lumbar support switch function results in no sound and no obvious change. Though I can seemingly deflate the seat back by holding the switch and pressing into the seat back at the same time.
I have no idea what's actually inside the seat but it acts like "increase" runs an air pump into a bag. If that's correct, does "decrease" just open a valve or is it supposed to be more energetic??
Dealer says it's normal. Since I'm out of warranty, it likely is regardless. But I'm curious.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Yup. Uh-huh. Make me feel stoopid.

Originally Posted by mohrd
You sure there isn't a switch? Rearward from the multifunction controls on the outside of the seat? It has a solid up arrow and outline down arrow. Only makes a noise when it's inflating.
That is in fact the switch. I mistakenly thought that was to raise and lower the seat.

Iconography is a tricky business, but they could have done a little better than this. Vertical arrows for the lumbar? Arrows instead of the word "pull" for the fogs?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There called rear fog lights, I couldn't believe it when I found them myself. I do have a manual, and I had to look them up. Never heard of them before.