X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pistons rings

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Pistons rings

OK, now I have the engine of my 04 X-Type 3.0L put back together the second times, it's crank freely but no start. I met Thermo and we had a nice dinner together, as we talk, he toll me the engine might has no compression. I went to Pep Boys rent an engine compression test kit, and sure enough none of cylinders have any compression, crank the engine I saw the sparks from the spark plugs, smell full of gas, but the compressor needle didn't move a bit. So these are three suspects:
1-The valves stuck open? Hardy, when I removed the heads to replace the gaskets I saw all the valves were shut tight.
2-The heads were warped? Could be, but with the new gaskets and head bolts it should have some compression?
3- Pistons rings, engine over heat could made them lost the springy and not seal against cylinder wall?
How hard is to do cylinders ring replacement? What tools do I need to do this job? What else beside the pistons rings?
Second option is to go the junk yard to yank out an engine from wrecked car and replace this engine, it might require me to drive two hours each ways and take me two or three days to remove other car engine.
Third option; Sale the car, some body can fix it or rebuilt the engine.
What do you guy think?

Last edited by Thang Nguyen; 05-10-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add more details.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,841 Likes on 3,158 Posts

Thang, like i mentioned, it is sounding like right now your best bet is to make the adapter that I told you about using the metal part of a spark plug. That way you can apply air to a cylinder when the valves are shut. This will then tell you where your problem lies (in the valves, the rings, or the gaskets). You will need both valves shut to the cylinder that you are going to apply the 90 psig air to. You then can listen to the oil fill tube, the intake, the exhaust, and look into the coolant overflow bottle. One or more of those should be giving you a sound of air escaping. If you are getting no noise, then your low compression is a bad timing issue.

Granted, you may want to give a fellow member Dr Dome a call and see if he may have an engine for you. I know he had a few X-Types sitting out back of his place that he was parting out and you may get a pretty good deal too.

If you need more info, let me know. I will help step you through what I can. On a side note, keep in mind that it is going to be easiest to pull the engine out the bottom of the car. So, you may have to find say a mechanics roller (very low profile wheeled cart that you lay on) to put under the engine to rest it on as you use say a cherry picker to lift the body of the car up to allow you to roll the engine out. You may also find it easiest to undo the wiring harness where it attaches to the firewall. That is how the factory does it and those should be out in the open for the most part. that way you can transfer the stuff you need to with it out of the engine bay and able to get at things with ease.

If you are looking at replacing the engine rings, this is going to pretty much require pulling the engine. I guess it could be done with the engine in the car, but it will be a lot of climbing on top of and then under the car to make it all work. Not to mention that you are going to have to pull the oil pan to get at the fasteners holding the connecting rods in place to allow you to remove the pistons. Once you get the pistons out, putting the new rings on is fairly easy (just make sure to keep the gaps in the rings 180 degrees out from the ring next to it to get the best sealing possible). To re-install, you will need a ring compression tool (this looks kinda like a oil filter wrench, but has a slight lip on the bottom side, you wrap it around the piston to compress the rings and then you can set it on top of the cylinder and ram the piston home gently). Do not push the piston all the way down as you will need to ensure that the connecting rod is properly aligned to the crankshaft to ensure it will come to rest in the correct spot. They do make special guide pins that make this process easier. These pins look like 16" long rods that are smooth with a 1/2" of thread on the end that screw into the end of the connecting rod that attaches to the crankshaft. This allows you to put the guide pins on either side of the crankshaft before you ram the piston home. Then once the piston is in place, you unscrew the pins from the bottom side of the motor.

If you do have to use a junk yard, most yards will pull the motor for you as they have the stuff that will be needed to pull the motor and it actually saves them money as they know what to remove vice having someone just rip and tear into the car, destroying good parts.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the valve timing is out of sync.
You almost certainly removed the timing chain or cam(s) ????that is a question
Even a bad head gasket or cracked head will give some (very low) but some compression
Always keep the "air intake" body fully open when taking compression tests. Imobilize the ignition so it does not fire.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Sorry I missed you gents! We got hungup over in Hershey with the kid's doctors...actually ate lunch in Lancaster on Wednesday (little hole in the wall called "Rice and Noodles", best bho kho I've had in a long time!).

I second the valve timing being off. Pull the plugs and make sure the fuel is off. Hook up the compression tester, and spin the engine over a few full turns by hand...see if the cylinder builds any pressure. If it does, leave it there and see if it leaks down.

Try the same thing with a drop or two (only!) of oil in the cylinder. If it builds some pressure then, suspect rings.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Wa3ra, I know that "Rice Noodle" place, next time you come to Lancaster give me a call, other place near my house more roomy and parking spaces.my phone (717)330-6004
OK, as for my car; first of any body want to buy my car for parts, call me at the number above, or you can fix it you'll have a nice bargain car.
For now I will try to move the car out of my garage and remove the engine out of the car so I can work with engine in the garage, then see what I can do!?

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The probability of all six sets of cylinder rings going bad at the same time and with no previous signs of distress is about zero. An engine overheat won't damage the rings.

Look for more probable causes like mistimed cam shafts as already noted.