Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X Type - Issues - Help Required

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X Type - Issues - Help Required

Hi All,
I've recently become the owner of a Jaguar X Type, 2.5L V6 Sport Petrol. 2003. Just over 80,000 miles.

The car overall drives like a dream still. Idles at 600 RPM. No noises from the engine, purrs like a dream and still accelerates at a very good level. All the interior electric items work as new. (Planning on getting the radio replaced for a tablet radio device just for modern use though)

I've noticed a few issues though and wondered if you can help.

1. There was a horrible squealing coming from the car when I bought it which occurs if you apply full acceleration when pretty much turning the wheel at 70%-100% full lock. When looking at the car on further there was no power steering fluid in the reservoir at all. RIDICULOUS! Anyway I've filled it up and it's stayed at a constant level since. The noise is still there however. Wondered if anyone had any ideas what this could be? Could it still be the power steering? But the pump has now burned out due to it being empty for god knows how long? Any ideas would be great.

2. The back left window is locked shut due to the gears in the mechanism slipping out and the handle now isn't working. Anyone got any help on how to remove the panel as it seems even when I remove all the visible screws there's something holding it on?

3. The air con is constantly on, whenever the heat or cool air is turned on the A/C comes on and won't turn off when the button is pressed. Any ideas on what to do here?

4. What is it like on getting spare parts for the X-Types? I would imagine there are plenty in scrap yards due to the amount of issues they faced whilst on the roads???

5. The biggest and only real issue I've ever had with the car was one morning I started the car and all the gears were locked up apart from 3rd and Reverse. I drove it in 3rd for a bit and it eventually allowed the rest of the gears to come back and be used. It was almost as if it was frozen. The issue occurred 3months ago and hasn't returned in any form. Any idea should would be again great help.

I'm enjoying the car very much and jaguars are still very much enjoyable too of the line cars. And you can't get much better than British Racing Green can we?

Anyway, any help would be much Appreciated!

Thanks,
Matthew.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

#1 Will have microscopic bubbles in fluid and continue to cause noise till they dissipate.(typically)
#2 Better search forum for this one, to many possibilities.
#3 Normal, hate it too.
#4 Easy, many models parts fit this car also.
#5 Clueless on this.

Congrats on 80K miles, nice grab tho the price is unknown

Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I'll just keep driving it about to see whether it clears the noise eventually. Hopefully it'll start to sort itself out now it's got fluid in there!

Haha price. I'm not sure if I overpaid, but im happy with how much I got it for regardless. It was approx £1300 but that included 6months road tax within the price so about £1150 ish. New tyres on it and a full tank of fuel too.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

What do you expect when you do a tight turn with full throttle? Lucky that you drove the Jaguar (modern car), if it was older car you could be rolled over or slide of the road.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:57 PM

When I do a tight turn to the right (seems only to be to the right actually) and put the throttle to the floor. It makes like a low pitch whining squealing noise. It seems to be coming from the front right of the car. It's fine when there's little power or just turning. Only when power is applied. Could it be the suspension or bearings associated with the front right wheel?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you sure its not wheel spin Haha. Seriously though it sounds like wheel bearing to me.If it happens when turning right then it could be the left front as the weight is transferred to that side.
As for the power steering, If there was no fluid in the system then how comes the steering wasn't stiff. I would also check around the power steering pump area for any leaks. There must be some for the tank to be that low.
If you drive with the AirCon on permanently as directed in the handbook then it should cycle as required and you set the temperature as required. If, as you say, when you turn it off nothing happens then I would get a diagnostics using JLR/SDD or similar as there must be faults.
As for the gearbox , perhaps it may need the slave bleeding.

Roger

Old 05-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The squealing could also be from a slipping belt. Turning the steering wheel puts a greater load on the belt drive and it could squeal.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Default Broken latch

Hi all,
I recently purchased a second hand 2005 X-Type V6 3.0 awd with 130000 miles. Yesterday I needed to fold down the back seats and noticed that the latch to unlock the left seat is broken. Any idea on how to unlock it now?

Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Sorry, I posted under an open thread….. move out….

Old 05-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem. The disc brake holder was warped. I removed and filed it down by hand. I then had the front rotor machined. The problem went away and has not came back. It was make a terrible scraping noise while turning to the right. Before that. Good luck

Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Item #3: The air conditioner remains on because it also functions as a "de-humidifier". Normal.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Item #5: Most likely cause is the seals have dried out (or dry out during storage). Change the transmission fluid....most likely to help.