Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on making a video while changing spark plug....saturday project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Planning on making a video while changing spark plug....saturday project

Hi Guys,

My Jag X Type 2003 feels under powered and limps every now and then.
So I thought I'll have my spark plugs changed this coming saturday all by myself.

Im planning to make a video on this.

Can anyone advice what are the other things that might need replacement as I will be removing the manifold. Does the CAT converter belong to this area???

Guys wish me luck in this project

Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

CAT doens't belong to this area. What I would recommend to replace is the pcv valve, pcv valve hose, plenum gaskets, and lower intake gaskets, IMT o-rings, and the brake booster hose. I did all of those to my 02 and got a significant increase in mpg and my butt dyno felt a little difference too

Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks disguay......i'll do it as well

thanks mate

Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I recently made a video myself due to see if anyone can help me out with any advice from vets from this site - I'm a new jaguar owner & like doing my own jobs - depending how serious it is - the tune up is complex but if you take your time it's easy - my advice to take care of the upper & inner gaskets just like disguay said the reason is just to change the plugs you have to remove the whole manifold - so while your there you might as well change them even if there look good - every inexpensive even at the dealer make sure to cover any exposé holes with rags - also check the knock censer - & ignition coils they can get worn - clean the manifold - use good plugs - I use double platinum - lube up the bolts so they don't rust & wreaking - mark which bolt are located they are different sizes -

Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Sounds like a nice idea and will be helpful to some here in the future..I recommend that as soon as you lift the Intake manifold off the engine, you stuff some rags down the holes..I've heard tales of stuff dropping down inside the engine and then the fun begins....Good luck, looking forward to your video.

Last edited by DPK; 06-13-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

two extra thinggs not mentionned so far - I'm sure you have these covered but for what it's worth

the air filter is worth replacing, that will be one of the first things that gets removed. Also, the throttle body has a gasket that technically is supposed to be replaced when the throttle body is taken off. I didn't have a replacement gasket so just put the old one back in and it seems to be fine.

two other things - my fuel rail took a lot of effort to prize off the lower intake. I expected it just to lift off and thought i had missed a bolt.

Also, i clean up the throttle body on a routine basis now as a sticking butterfly valve has left me stranded twice now witha tps code - the first time a Jag dealer cleaned it, and then 8 months later when it happened again, I cleaned it. I noticed the second time that the throttle body was considerably cleaner on the upstream side of the valve which sort of told me they didn't bother to the take the throttle body off the manifold when they "cleaned" it first time - while you have that off, it is worth doing. I don't think i am the only one that had that issue.

Best of luck - make sure to post the video!!!!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

And DO NOT over tighten the bolts. They do strip out easy.

The Dr.