X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti-dip vs. spray painting wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Plasti-dip vs. spray painting wheels

My jag's in the shop right now but when I get it back I'm wanting to plastidip the stock rims or something. I am also contemplating just using Rustoleum spray paint instead since they have lots of colors. I want to do something a little different than plain black like everyone has. I am thinking of doing maybe black undercoat with a slight copper mist to it.

I would also like a dark forest green, but I don't know if Plastidip carries forest green or not. I know they have some camo colors such as brown, tan, and army green also but they are a little more expensive than your basic black or white. They make metalizer finishes as well in copper, gold, and silver. I want to go for a titanium or carbon fiber type of vibe. Or British racing green would be pretty cool. Maybe black topped with a slight coat of army green or something.

Just feeling artistic not having my car around. People make me jealous too with their new cars and stuff. I've been wanting to "plastidip" the wheels but never got around to it and next thing you know the car needs a new engine. What it really needs is the right set of wheels, but that will have to wait probably at least until I get my credit card paid off.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

04xtype04, here is my thought on the situation and you can take it for what it is worth. Almost any process you do, you are going to need the thinnest coast possible to minimize weight. The heavier the wheels are, the more rotational mass you are going to have and that can potentially affect braking and suspension components. This is more of a problem with the Plasti-dip process than anything.

Secondly, whatever you apply needs to have a very strong holding power because when you have your tires changed, there is a lot of pressure applied to the surface of the rim to force the tire over the lip. So, unless you plan on repainting the rims every time you have a tire pulled on/off the rim, painting is not the best option either.

Something you may want to consider is getting the rims powder coated. Yes, this is a more expensive route (mainly because you would have to unmount the tires to do this), but the strength of the paint is hard to beat and this is the process that they use on the painted rims that you see in the tire stores. In short, they paint the rims whatever color you want (the sky is the limit) then they bake the paint to cause it to adhere to the rim and it also forms a bond with the surrounding paint. As a result, the paint forms a very hard crust that resists chipping and being pulled off. It handles the weather great. We used it on the submarine in areas where lots of salt water would drip over the metal and after doing that, the amount of rust went to almost zero.

Something to ponder.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I use spray paint for rims.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plasti dip is cool if you want temporary and don't mind touching up every so often. But if you mess up easy to do over and easy to change colors when you feel like it.