X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, 2007 jaguar x-type, will not crank

Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Please help, 2007 jaguar x-type, will not crank

I bought a 2007 jaguar x-type 3.0 awd, automatic trans. This car was involved in a water flood, i checked the ecm and it was fine, no corrosion. I tried to start it up but theres no sound of the starter engaging. Everything is working fine, except for the shifter which will not go out of park and the starter will not engage. I jumped the starter and its running fine. I took the key and it locks and unlocks with the remote, and i got inside and put the key into the ignition, turned it to the on position, and all the lights are running fine. When i go into the start position the lights will not go off or dim. Which problem could cause this? Is it the key that's not programmed to the car? Is it the anti-theft, or the ecm?
Last question if its the anti-theft is there a mogul? Please, please help me! Im retired and this is the newest car i ever bought, i really need it! Your help is greatly appreciated in advanced

p.s. I forgot to mention that i got the shifter out of park, into neutral the proper way(not disconnecting it from the bottom, still the same problem)

Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 AM

I bought a new battery just to make sure

Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Question no start

I would start by:
1- procuring a volt/ohm meter (analog/digital don't matter)set @DC 12-24 volts(black lead is common,red lead is voltage)
2- pull the fuses and relays in the engine compartment
3-check for corrosion (yellow or gray/white)
4-have 2nd person try to start car while probing the pins with relay out (+ to pin - to a good ground) if you see voltage when key is turned only that is the low voltage pin from key, there should be constant voltage to 1(one) of the pins this is High voltage to power the starter relay.
5-Check the same way (don't turn key) for the fuses,one side 12v other goes to the device it's labeled for (the cover shows where they are and what for)
6-the key circuit run through the security system via the EMC so don't SHORT anything!
7-Is the red lite on the counsel flashing?
I apologize if this is to simplistic but I don't know your ability level(tech, novice, master! post up you results!

The following users liked this post:
asaaidi (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you look in the footwell theres a inertia resel switch located through an access hole in the kick pannel
if you press it and it clicks then likely it should now run
had this happen a few times with bad batterys etc

The following users liked this post:
asaaidi (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM

very good I never thought of the gas shut off. It cuts the key also?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM

Thank you so much for replying i really appreciate it. My brother in law is a certified mechanic, but hes suffering from cancer and tries to help me but is limited. The gas shut off button is ok. I just got my voltage meter today and i will do what you told me to do tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes. Thank you so much again

Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Sorry to hear about that hamstring, may he recovers soon

Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Default not cranking

Originally Posted by billbjork
I would start by:
1- procuring a volt/ohm meter (analog/digital don't matter)set @DC 12-24 volts(black lead is common,red lead is voltage)
4-have 2nd person try to start car while probing the pins with relay out (+ to pin - to a good ground) if you see voltage when key is turned only that is the low voltage pin from key, there should be constant voltage to 1(one) of the pins this is High voltage to power the starter relay.
5-Check the same way (don't turn key) for the fuses,one side 12v other goes to the device it's labeled for (the cover shows where they are and what for)
6-the key circuit run through the security system via the EMC so don't SHORT anything!
I apologize if this is to simplistic but I don't know your ability level(tech, novice, master! post up you results!

Hello Again,
Although the weather is pretty bad today, i went out and worked on the car. I checked all the fuses and they were okay. I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and all the fuses were good and the relays do have voltage resistants. My brother in law came by and he rechecked everything. He did have a scanner, which he hooked up the the car and it read error. The computer is not communicating because if it was working than it should show a code. He called a friend of his who has an in-depth scanner, and he said that he would download something(i dont know) from jaguar and he will come out tomorrow and troubleshoot the whole electrical system. Ill update you tomorrow LOL. thanks Alot
P.S. my father was a master mechanic(gas and diesel) and when i became a teenager, he made me work on every nook and cranny of the cars we owned, and also all of our friends and neighbors cars(changing transmission, fuel pump, tune-up, brakes, etc), with all these new cars and technology, im alittle lost. I tried teaching my teenagers but they only know how to drive into pot holes, get tickets, leave the gas tanks empty and dont bother trying to fix anything!

Sorry for the life story book!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM

I hear ya on the kids, got a granddaughter, she cost me $500 not to long ago.Yes the cars are a changing, I've been self teaching myself for years and I love it but it's a constant on-going if you want to understand the new stuff.Plus I don't like someone else messing with my car! Each car model has it's own set of problems.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Default jaguar x-type

[quote=billbjork;478149]I hear ya on the kids, got a granddaughter, she cost me $500 not to long ago.Yes the cars are a changing, I've been self teaching myself for years and I love it but it's a constant on-going if you want to understand the new stuff.Plus I don't like someone else messing with my car! Each car model has it's own set of problems.[/quote'

Yea lol. The mechanic came out today, and ran some tests. He hooked up the red wire+ to the battery and the negative- wire also. He took the needle of the tester and stuck it in the relay pin. He had a button on his tester and when he pressed it the engine turned over but it would not start. He also went to the computer and checked the wiring in it because its not communicating with his advanced scanner. He said that the anti- theft is locking everything out. The computers are fine, no water went into them. So the only solution is to take it to the dealer to unlock the theft system. Oh, and he advised me not to jump the car. Thank you for all your help and we will see what the dealer says. Thanks again

Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by billbjork
I would start by:
Hello,
IM sorry if im bothering you lol. I couldnt stay in the house and accept defeat. I searched on this forum and found a post that gave me an idea of a possible solution. Although, i dont have a garage, and its dark and cold outside, i went out to look at the car again. I pulled the ECM out and took it inside the house and opened it up. With a 20x magnifying glass i looked through all the dials and chips on the ECM. I found that one of the chips had 2 broken connectors, either burned or blown. I attached pictures below, so if anyone has an ECM problem they will know what to look at. Im going to try to solder this connection back and see if the connection has been established. If not, i will buy a new rebuilt computer from goecm.com. Its not worth me buying one from the junkyard and reprogramming it, the cost will be almost the same as buying a new rebuilt one.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
2007 jaguar x-type ECM.docx (1.04 MB, 189 views)