Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

Hi,
This is my first post and I could really use some help. I recently had a blow out and slammed into a curb, as a result my front left suspension was wrecked. I've replaced all the parts, however I am having trouble determining which sensor or module needs to be replaced, also I'm wondering if this sensor could be the cause of the check engine light that is now on on the dash. It is located behind the front wheel, behind the strut and all, seems to be attached to a metal arm that is riveted to the body. I know it isn't the wheel speed/ABS sensor, although those wires were torn and I'm hoping they can just be spliced back together... Would any of you guys by any chance know what I'm talking about? It looks like it connects to the headlights maybe, I thought it could be the headlight leveling sensor or maybe the headlight control module but I can't be sure and those parts seem difficult to find. My car is a 2004 Jaguar X-Type with the sport package (if that makes a difference).

Thanks in advance,
R

Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

cuel1692, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will like it here. Lots of very useful information that can be obtained here. So, keep looking around and don't be afraid to assist others when you know something that can help them out.

As for your problem. The piece you are describing sounds like the height sensor for the headlights. That being failed should not cause a CEL to come on. All that you may see is the headlights not coming to the correct height when you start the car.

If you haven't fixed the ABS sensor yet, that is probably the cause of your CEL light. But, I would also recommend making a stop by of your local auto parts store and having them read the codes and then posting them here. That will be a significant help to helping you get things back to 100%. As for fixing the wires, as long as the wires were only cut, not stretched then broken, a simple splice together should be all that is needed. Due to the wires being on the outside, I would recommend covering the exposed copper with stuff called "Raychem". Specifically you want "Raychem WCSF-070" Yes, it is a little bit more than your normal heat shrink stuff. But, this stuff is shrink tubing on steroids. When you see it, you will understand what I am saying. This stuff will do what you need and ensure you don't have any future problems. The other benefit of the Raychem is that is seals to the old wiring insulation, so, this will actually make it as if the wire had never been cut and make it water proof. I use this stuff at work to survive a nuclear reactor disaster. It will survive under the hood of your car.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the quick response, I'll be pulling off the wheel and trying my luck here tomorrow. I've noticed that the sensor itself seems to have a black and a brown wire, but the other part (where it was cut) has brown, black, and white... I wont know for sure until I get in there, but I'll try my best to piece it back together, and rest assured I'll probably be back with more questions...haha. Once again thanks for the help and I'll be in-touch.

Roy

Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

cuel, if you have any more questions, just ask. When it comes to wiring, you are in my field of expertise. I am an electronics tech by trade. So, I can help you do just about anything you are willing to do.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Thanks thermo,

So I pulled of the front wheel today, found the abs sensor and the "bottom half" of the harness, the part attached to the sensor itself...the problem...I couldn't find the rest of it. I looked under the hood and all over really, do you by any chance know where the other end of the harness attaches? I've seen pics of the intact harness and it doesn't seem too long, its got to be somewhere I would imagine pretty close to the sensor itself? And also, my 'trunk open' warning light on the dash wont turn off even though the trunk is closed, any ideas why?

Roy

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

cuel, I would need to look at where the wire runs on my car and it is already too dark for me to look.

As for the trunk open message, odds are the switch is stuck inside of the rear latch assembly. I would say to pull the rear latch out a little ways, find the closed button and squirt it with some WD-40. That should free up the button and get you back on the road. If I remember right, you will need a T-27 torx bit to get the latch loose.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Thanks Thermo, I'll definitely try pulling the trunk latch, this day-light savings isn't helping any though...as far as the abs harness, I was thinking I could put the car up on ramps and hope to see the other end just hanging somewhere, otherwise just purchase it new I suppose. Thanks again for the help, seeing all those lights on the dash is always unsettling.