X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please HELP! My Xtype won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP! My Xtype won't start

Thanks to all that read this and try to help me.

I have a 2002 xtype, 3.0. I recently had a CEL come on indicating misfiring in three cylinders. I read in the forums common problems for this and attempted to fix myself. I ended up replacing all spark plugs (NGK Iridium, set gap to .5), all new coils (Jaguar box, Ford coil), lower and upper intake manifold gaskets, and throttle body gaskets. It took me awhile to complete but followed every step in another post. I started the engine and it purred right off the bat (it was running rough), but 20 seconds later the car turned off.

When I put the key in the car the lights on the dash work (CEL still on, gearbox fault on the display that was already there), the alarm light on the console does not blink, and all functions of the fob still work. When I turn the key nothing happens, I do not hear anything from the starter (not even a clicking noise). I read other threads about this issue and here is what I checked but I still have the same problem.

I thought it may be the battery, tried to jump it didn't help.
Tried charging the battery overnight, still nothing

I checked all the fuses, F37 a 15A fuse was bad so I replaced it. Swapped the other fuses that are black and grey boxes.

When I put my scanner on it (cheap one from amazon), it comes up with "link failed". It was working before.

I tried putting the car in neutral to start, still nothing.

I tried arming then disarming the vehicle, still nothing.

Now I am running out of things that I am able to check. Please help me figure out what is wrong with my car. I have had it for the past year and it has been running great up to this point. It has 78,000 miles on it and everything else seems to be well maintained.

Thanks again for any help!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Kipp,

Check and make sure you hooked up all of the electrical connectors. I had this same problem after changing out the manifold gaskets. I actually had a 1 wire come off the throttle body plug. It drove me nuts until I seen the wire hanging loose.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 AM

When I hooked everything up I checked all the connections. I'll check again just to be sure. Your car wouldn't start because of one wire? It's strange that it started up then I can't even get the starter to engage. Did you have a blown fuse as well? I'll definately double check the throttle body plug tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM

Does anyone have a link to a wire map of the 2002 xtype? I guess I'm going to start by checking every wire loom.