X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor mpg

Hello everyone I just recently bought an 02 x-type 2.5 and I'm getting horrible mileage. It passed smog with flying colors, I use premium fuel and I've done everything I can think of to increase the mileage.. I'm getting about 7mph and am in need of some assistance

Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

X-cited, when you come back from a long drive, get out and put your hand near each wheel by the lug nuts. Is that area warm (like you could put your hand there and keep it there) or is it hot (afraid you are going to burn yourself)? Warm is normal. Hot, you have a caliper that is binding up.

Secondly, do you have fairly sporty pickup to the car or does it feel like you are dragging an anchor? This can be another indication of a sticking caliper. But, it can also be a problem with binding in the driveline leading to your pour mileage.

Finally, when you look at your mileage on the computer, the next click on the selector will tell you the average speed that you have been traveling. What does that read? Along with that, when you are driving, keep an eye on the tach and tell me where most of the shifts are occurring. Are most of your drives only a few miles or do you travel say 20-30 miles to work/daily trips?

Hopefully with this combination of questions and answers, we can get you towards an answer to your problem.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
X-cited, when you come back from a long drive, get out and put your hand near each wheel by the lug nuts. Is that area warm (like you could put your hand there and keep it there) or is it hot (afraid you are going to burn yourself)? Warm is normal. Hot, you have a caliper that is binding up.

Secondly, do you have fairly sporty pickup to the car or does it feel like you are dragging an anchor? This can be another indication of a sticking caliper. But, it can also be a problem with binding in the driveline leading to your pour mileage.

Finally, when you look at your mileage on the computer, the next click on the selector will tell you the average speed that you have been traveling. What does that read? Along with that, when you are driving, keep an eye on the tach and tell me where most of the shifts are occurring. Are most of your drives only a few miles or do you travel say 20-30 miles to work/daily trips?

Hopefully with this combination of questions and answers, we can get you towards an answer to your problem.
My mechanic says my calipers are fine and so is my drive train.. What I did notice is that it's running hotter than usual would that effect my mileage.. I'm getting a new water pump today so would that be the source of my poor mileage?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

X-cited, unfortunately, the hotter motor will actually cause the mileage to go up slightly if anything. Now, if the motor gets too hot, it will shut off fuel to opposing cylinders in an attempt to reduce the temp of the motor. So, that is not it. When this happens, the dash lights up like a christmas tree.

The other thing that I would possibly say to look at is to drive the car and then park it. Leave the motor running. Get out and pop the hood of the car. Look down on the sides of the motor (between the radiator and the motor and the motor and the fire wall of the car). You will see 2 bulges in the exhaust right after it leaves the motor. These are your catalytic converters. Is one/both of them glowing red hot? If so, that side has a stuck open injector and you are going to damage your catalytic converters shortly.

Beyond that, I am not sure what is going on with your car. The only way to really have the car that low in mileage and not have anything "wrong" with the car is to be doing tons of short trips (ie, motor is not up to temp) and being hard on the gas at the same time.

The following users liked this post:
Samantha (07-04-2013)