X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes and Air Con question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Codes and Air Con question.

I finally got my hands on a decent code reader and made a 200 mile round trip to monitor the goings on. Code P0171 is a repetitive issue. Observed watching live data. The bank one O2 sensor was giving large swings in the readings running along on cruise control. Bank 2 not so much. I googled O2 sensors and got a range from $36.00 to $408.00. It has been storming like hell in NW FL and I don't really want to crawl under the car. Any suggestions on which O2 sensors the 2002 X Type 3.0 uses? Also location for each bank. Also got a P35EA or P35AE code that the reader could not give me the description for also. Still researching that.

Next issue is the AC. Runs great at idle and low speeds, gets warm at higher speeds above 45 to 50 Mph. Seems backwards to me but that's what it is doing. Has anyone had problems with the diverter doors at higher speeds? Or is it something more sinister?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Sparky (fellow wire biter here), your lean code (P0171) is more likely the result of either a bad o-ring on the IMT valves (passenger side of the intake, those 2 black covers on the side) or you have a problem with the vacuum line coming off the top of the intake, leading over to the brake booster. Those are much more likely to give you what you are after than a bad O2 sensor. I would check those first.

As for why the large variance in what O2 sensors cost, you need to look at the sensors closely. Some are 3 wire, some are 4 wire. Both will work in the car, but can you wire them up to work as they will not come with the correct plugs on the end. So, you need to know which wire needs to go where. The more you end up spending, the more likely you are going to get something with a plug on the end that all you have to do is unplug the one sensor and plug in the new one. How much is your time worth?

As for location. Bank 1 is the cylinders against the fire wall. Bank 2 is the cylinders facing the front bumper. If you look at the motor on the exhaust manifolds, you will see large canisters there. The sensor sticking out the canister is Sensor 1. If you continue to follow the exhaust down, just before the Y-pipe you will a sensor there. That is Sensor 2.

As for your A/C, it sounds like you are suffering from a spring issue inside the compressor. There is a TSB on this fix. If you want that TSB, let me know and I will send it your way. Unfortunately, to make this change legally, you have to take it to a shop to have them evacuate the A/C system. Even if you do it yourself, you can run into issues as you will be putting air into the A/C system which is going to cause it to not perform correctly when all is said and done. I just need your e-mail to send you the PDF file.

The following users liked this post:
Sparkchaser36 (06-11-2012)