Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poor start not accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor start not accelerator

Hi Folks,

I am a new member and a new X type owner. I recently purchased a 2004 2.0 diesel X type SE model with 125K. 1 owner from new and lots of receipts
The injectors have just been refurbed (tested ) and reprogrammed. Full service including diesel filter.
In the morning when I start the car it is smoky (white /gray) for a few minutes but then clears up - Garage I bought it from said this was normal to expect as it was leak back of diesel when standing overnight. Is this correct?
When I start first thing (clutch in and wait for glow plug light to go out) sometimes I have no accelerator pedal for about 30 seconds, revs are down at about 500 and engine and charge light stay on. after this it jumps back to normal and all is fine. What could be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as if there are some issues I want to get back to the garage and get them sorted as soon as possible.

P.S. car drives lovely and very comfortable.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I am not a diesel owner myself but it sure sounds like you need a new battery. Your voltage is dropping while awaiting start and it takes a few seconds for the alternator to bring it back to a voltage that the car likes.
The x-type electronics are very voltage sensitive and will do a lot of funny things when there is not just the right charge on the battery.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi Vern, Thanks for the advice Checked out the battery but not the problem. Put a new 80amh battery and no change.
Bringing it to my Mechanic tonight who will put it on computer and hopefully come up with some faults.