X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popped my Mod Cherry

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Popped my Mod Cherry

I'm not a guy to modify my vehicles. However, after reading numerous threads on this forum containing stories and pictures of what others have modified on their Xes I was quickly reformed. I've had my car for a year and have done nothing to it aside from the normal maintenance and care.

But, just yesterday I ordered the clear side turn indicators from Adamesh. Got the chrome(ium?) bulbs to avoid the "egg" effect which I learned about on this forum. Admittedly, not a huge change but it's a start! Now I'm all kinds of focused on what else I should change.

Was wondering what some of your first mods were? I have ideas for wheels, HIDs, and interior (trim, audio) upgrades. But, I definitely want to keep the changes classy, nothing too outrageous. Elegance.

Anyway, just my 'thank you' to the forum posters who shared their trials/tribulations while making their modifications. Gave me good ideas and made for interesting reading. I will be sure to add pics as the changes occur, as I found those posts to be the most inspiring and helpful.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there.....thanks for sharing your recent upgrade with us.
While some may say its not much, we all have to start somewhere! I know they make a definite improvment and !lift! the cars looks.

Maybe some mesh gilles? Different / bigger wheels?
Paint your hubs / calipers ?
Slight window tint?
If its not the Sport you could de chrome it unless you like that effect?

Loads more choices....

Next time though...post pics or else

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andahaion
I'm not a guy to modify my vehicles. However, after reading numerous threads on this forum containing stories and pictures of what others have modified on their Xes I was quickly reformed. I've had my car for a year and have done nothing to it aside from the normal maintenance and care.

But, just yesterday I ordered the clear side turn indicators from Adamesh. Got the chrome(ium?) bulbs to avoid the "egg" effect which I learned about on this forum. Admittedly, not a huge change but it's a start! Now I'm all kinds of focused on what else I should change.

Was wondering what some of your first mods were? I have ideas for wheels, HIDs, and interior (trim, audio) upgrades. But, I definitely want to keep the changes classy, nothing too outrageous. Elegance.

Anyway, just my 'thank you' to the forum posters who shared their trials/tribulations while making their modifications. Gave me good ideas and made for interesting reading. I will be sure to add pics as the changes occur, as I found those posts to be the most inspiring and helpful.
Hello -

Check out minagallery.com. I purchased my growler grill upper and lower. I like to be different, plus everyone that has an X I have seen has the original grill.

I dont have all the wood grain so next on my list is this.

Attached Thumbnails Popped my Mod Cherry-jaguar-growler-grill.jpg   Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-wood-grain-kit.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't listen to the done and done some more mods, why don't you start with a nice big old wing on the back from J.C. Whitney in the style of the XKR-S. Pics would be nice!!! The big question is can you stop the mods now that you've begun?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by benebob
Don't listen to the done and done some more mods, why don't you start with a nice big old wing on the back from J.C. Whitney in the style of the XKR-S. Pics would be nice!!! The big question is can you stop the mods now that you've begun?
If your talking to me. Here is a pic of what my car looks like right now, this pic is from Acapiz on this website. My car is bronze not black. If you read my post it says my next mod is the wood grain the car is still in storage for a couple more weeks. if you check my sig that is my car.

I'm going to ignore the comment about JC whitney and a wing, that is just a silly question who would ever put a wing on there JAG.

Attached Thumbnails Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-updated-growler-grill.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing i do an any of my cars is tint the windows, it looks classier and keeps people from cating your pick your nose lol. Id invest in nicer/ brigher headlights.

I just oredered chrome window pilers, my stock ones are black. Small mods like this make your car stand out from the crowd. If you really want to sit apart get some slightly bigger rims, your ride will look newer. There pricy but and no girl can risist a nice set of shoes

Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Fox
First thing i do an any of my cars is tint the windows, it looks classier and keeps people from cating your pick your nose lol. Id invest in nicer/ brigher headlights.

I just oredered chrome window pilers, my stock ones are black. Small mods like this make your car stand out from the crowd. If you really want to sit apart get some slightly bigger rims, your ride will look newer. There pricy but and no girl can risist a nice set of shoes
I agree with you Mr. Fox. I had tint on all the windows 30% got pulled over in the afternoon when the sun was shinning and going 2 over. In mn we have a law and all windows must be 50%. I have looked at getting the chrome pillars where did you get yours from? are they pretty easy to install. I have 18's I do not want to go any bigger, I love the way it rides and handles. I love my SHOES .

Last edited by sting19; 03-18-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sting19
If your talking to me. Here is a pic of what my car looks like right now, this pic is from Acapiz on this website. My car is bronze not black. If you read my post it says my next mod is the wood grain the car is still in storage for a couple more weeks. if you check my sig that is my car.

I'm going to ignore the comment about JC whitney and a wing, that is just a silly question who would ever put a wing on there JAG.
Jag did on the XKR-S and it looks as if it came from JC IMO, but I was talking to And... about his future mods, once you start like anything you can become addicted quick. Still waiting for the first pick of a roadrunner wing on the back of a Jag. That'll be an interesting day! Not my style but I'm sure someone has done it.

On a side note there is a "robo cartoon floating around here about the 1st mod being a mesh grill on the X type" Saw it right after I ordered my mesh grill the week the car got home The bottom grill would scare me as it gets driven in the winter and I would suspect snow wouldn't be kind to it. Like it on the broze though. It doese sharpen up the front a bit.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sting19. Iv been pulled over for my 10% tint too. I just tell the cops I bought it like this or I need it due to night glaring. the pilers haven't got here yet. they say its easy. just taped on. I'm looking for some nice 18's are the best size as far as mpg, ride comfort, and look. post pics!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Still awaiting my side marker lights, but have been aggressively researching other mods. Will post pre and post pics when they arrive from our good friends at Adamesh across the pond.

Most of my car enthusiast buddies encourage me to get new wheels as my next modification. I'm not a really flashy guy, but have taken a liking to the Whitley wheels from Coventry (in silver):

Jaguar Wheels by Coventry. Custom X-type wheels, S-Type wheels, XF wheels, XJ wheels, XK wheels

Anyone have opinions on these? I'm torn between the 17" and 18". I like them because they are more of a "touring" or "cruising" looking wheel, not really aggressive. Matches my personality.

Anyway, I don't suppose there'd be much difference in the smoothness of the ride between 17s and 18s.

I welcome any input/suggestions.

Cheers.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Andahaion, I have done a few mods to my car. I have tinted the windows (20% all the way around), tinted the side marker lights, and converted the chrome exterior trim pieces to the sport look (color matched). I did differ from the sport look in that I left the "JAGUAR" on the rear trim piece above the license plate in chrome. If you look in my gallery, you can see picks of the paint stuff. I also upgraded the foglights to 35W 6000K HIDs. Again, if you look in the gallery, there are pics.

There are two mods I am in the middle of. One is upgrading the 194 bulbs on the exterior of the car to 285K MCD 10mm LEDs. The other mod is installing an aftermarket stereo using the factory head unit to drive everything.

If you are unsure about any mods, if you don't mind a little bit of a drive, come on down south by about an hour and I will help you out. I'm down near California, MD. If I can't do anything, I will tell you. What I would tell you to do is to look around the galleries and see what you like and what you don't. Also, look around and see what you think would look good. I'm sure we can get what you want done to the car. I have a fair amount of tools and can fab up some things for you.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sting19
Um, unfortunately, there is a serious Sicko driving around a bright red 2002 X-Type in Davenport Iowa with a Giant paint-matched wing on the back of his X-type....
I threw up in my mouth...

I wish I would have taken a picture. It was just absurd.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Andahaion
Still awaiting my side marker lights, but have been aggressively researching other mods. Will post pre and post pics when they arrive from our good friends at Adamesh across the pond.

Most of my car enthusiast buddies encourage me to get new wheels as my next modification. I'm not a really flashy guy, but have taken a liking to the Whitley wheels from Coventry (in silver):

Jaguar Wheels by Coventry. Custom X-type wheels, S-Type wheels, XF wheels, XJ wheels, XK wheels

Anyone have opinions on these? I'm torn between the 17" and 18". I like them because they are more of a "touring" or "cruising" looking wheel, not really aggressive. Matches my personality.

Anyway, I don't suppose there'd be much difference in the smoothness of the ride between 17s and 18s.

I welcome any input/suggestions.

Cheers.
Here are a few mods that I did to enhance the styling on my x type. Mine is a 2007 Gold Automatic:

1. From Mina Gallery - Upgraded headlight lamps. These are not just bluer, but around 4x as bright as the stock halogens I had. I paid $100 for the full sets of high, low and fog. I only ordered low and fog, but Mina set me a couple of extras!

2. From Mina Gallery - Aluminium dead pedal cover. This is a nice touch and prevents the carpet getting frayed on the drivers side. Also looks cool.

3. Chrome accents - After market - I got headlight rims not sure from where, but they look good. No chrome rims on the back.

4. Dealer installed chrome - I have the rear tread plates (came installed in the car) as well as side mirror covers (again came with the car). Seems like there is too much chrome on the car, but given it is Gold, the chrome is quite subtle.

5. Lower mesh cover - I got the original jaguar one installed by the dealer. Mine is black rather than chrome.

6. Other small things - I have the Jaguar trunk mat (again came with car) which I origianlly thought ALL X Types just came with! It's a nice high quality rug, I replaced the wheel caps with new ones.

7. I have 18 inch Aruba wheels, which came with the car.

8. Inside I have the ACM unit and extra power socket in the glove box (both I installed when I bought the car).

9. I bought the leather Momo shifter - looks cool, but I haven't used it because the leather color does not match my interiror. An expensive $150 mistake I bought on eBay.

10. I also got the Jaguar pedal covers. These are original and I ordered them special ordered from the dealer. The catalog said it fitted the x type, but unfortuantely the accelerator pedal does not match. So I never installed them. They look great but ended up being a $125 mistake!

That's all the mods I can think of I did based on a standard x type....All of them worked out well except for the ones I consider mistakes.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Ok, as promised I've taken a few shapshots of the old and new side indicator lights. Very easy mod, and I really like the new look.

Up next will be new HIDs. Jenga!!

Attached Thumbnails Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-side.jpg   Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-quarter-shot-garage.jpg   Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-quarter-shot-w-new-lights.jpg   Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-side-new-indicator-lights.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

nicely done, I have never done mine because nobody makes the front ones, so I would just as soon keep them either both amber or both clear.

I would do the Exexpat delete but Canada requires the side marker light.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided the next change would be the headlights. I recently installed 6000K HIDs into my low beams. I also installed little LED wedge bulbs.

I must have read all the HID threads several times in trying to decide what kit to go with. In the end, I bought the premium kit from Xenon Supply (about $190 shipped). I gotta say, they were very helpful and the customer service was spot on, very quick to return emails.

Here are some before, during, and after pics. You can see there's quite a difference between the stock bulb and the Philips HID bulb. The beams look more blue in the pics than in person. Sorry for the grainy camera phone, but you get the idea.

The install took about two hours, I went slow just to be sure that I was doing everything properly. I didn't have to remove anything but the battery, which was nice since I read that some folks had removed more. It's a clean look and I'm happy with the outcome.

Up next...not sure. I'm being lobbied hard to put new wheels on, so I suppose that's next.

Attached Thumbnails Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-before-6000k.jpg   Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-one-hid-installed.jpg   Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-6000k-installed.jpg   Popped my Mod Cherry-jag-6000k-installed-ii.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
C5pilot (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the pics! It takes a little extra effort to stop what you're doing just to snap pics for others. Much appreciated, looks good.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  19.3 KB

Looking good there buddy, the HID's look soo much better

For me.... the clear side repeater is the one thing that very quickly / cheaply changes the appearance of the car. The old style orange repeaters really are an indicator of the age, changed around 02 I think there or thereabouts!

New wheels would be nice, although yours look in great shape. Whether you do them or not, I'd say another really effective and cheap upgrade is to paint your hubs / calipers for a really clean look.
Your car being black, I'd suggest silver for a really stock look, some have went with black as well and more than a few have gone the Racing RED look.

It really doeas help to tidy things up some and also draws the eyes to the wheels. You could also add the Jaguar "valve caps" although I went with the Saltire

I'll be checking in to see how you go.........

Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's a drastic difference with brilliant looking lights , of course main concern should be proper lighting performance w/o compromising oncoming traffic and not just for garish

Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am guessing I'll bump into your jag one of these days in DC

Quick Reply: Popped my Mod Cherry