X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Power steering fluid replace

I am the second owner of this 2004 3.0 XType and it now has 114,000 miles. I have been having zero problems with the power steering but recently dipped a clean white strip of copy paper into my reservoir and saw the color of the fluid was a very brown and smelly fluid. So I looked in owners manual and it calls for replacement with Dextron III transmission fluid. So I decided to change it today. Here is the process I used. I bought a 10 foot roll of 1/2" ID vinyl tubing at Lowes but you honestly don't need that length - 5 feet will probably work fine. Also bought an inline barbed brass coupling that is 1/2" OD on each end. My F150 truck uses 3/8" ID tubing for this same procedure but XType size is 1/2" ID.

The concept is to suction out as much old fluid as you can from reservoir then remove the smaller return line hose from the reservoir bottom. Quickly place either a 1/2 ID cap or what I did was just cut a piece of tubing about a foot long and positioned one end higher than the reservoir so fluid wouldn't run out its end. The other end I placed over the nipple of the reservoir. Prepare your long vinyl tubing by inserting the brass barbed fitting and then insert the other end of the barb fitting into the open power steering return hose. Place other end of your drain tube in an old container to collect. Jack both front wheels off ground just enough so they aren't touching.

Now fill your reservoir with fresh Dextron III fluid then slowly have assistant begin turning steering wheel from lock to lock with engine OFF but key in on position. Keep adding fluid while monitoring the old fluid being pumped through your drain hose. It will take a little over a quart before you see fresh bright cherry red fluid in your drain tube. Once you do see fresh red fluid, continue to add fluid and have the steering wheel turned and monitor the drained fluid for bubbles. You probably will have some where the transition from old to new fluid occurs. Keep cycling wheel until no more bubbles. Then once satisfied, quickly remove your connections and put return line back on reservoir nipple taking care not to let fluid level get low. I had put shop rags under the reservoir to catch spills which you will experience some amount of.

Then turn wheel lock to lock several times again with reservoir cap off and monitor fluid level. When the fluid settles top it to correct level on dipstick. Then cap the reservoir, start engine and again turn wheel lock to lock several times to work the system. Remove cap and check fluid level to correct amount. Take it for a test drive and test level again afterwards. Your power steering system will now have 100% bright fresh fluid and feel silky smooth. I used almost 2 quarts in this process.

Tip - My return hose was very firmly sealed to the reservoir nipple. I sprayed a little silicone spray at the end and let it soak for a couple minutes. Then I used a small pick to carefully work around the end and broke the seal where clamp had been. Then more silicone and slowly twisted it back and forth until it started moving, It finally came off but without patience I probably would have damaged it trying to remove it until silicone softened it.

Last edited by RobinGa; 02-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice job Rob.