X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Purchase Tranny Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pre-Purchase Tranny Question?

Hi all. I was looking to buy my girlfriend an X-Type also since I love mine so much and have learned so much about the car. Been looking at many nice used ones on Craigslist. I drill most of the sellers pretty hard with questions and 99.9% of them will not reply to me which I just don't get unless they are crooks...LOL. I like to get things they answer documented in an email so I have proof of fraud if they sell me a car and lie about things. They always want me to call them and I tell them to simply reply to my email and the questions and they blow me off. Amazing to me that they decide to throw away a 3k+ sale like that...oh well.

In any case one finally did answer all my questions and one was about the tranny. He said when he first bought the car the tranny did not work and the previous owner thought the tranny was bad and needed replacing. However this seller claims that he come to find out the previous owner tried to change the fluid and pulled the wrong plug which disabled the reverse in the car. Here is the exact answer he replied to me with about that:

"It had no reverse when I bought it, easy fix. Someone apparently thought they could pull the plug by the DS drive axle to drain the fluid. This bolt holds the reverse band in place. Had to get the band back in place and install the bolt correctly. Work fine now. Car sat for over 2 years on a non-op because of it. Previous owner thought he was going to need to replace or rebuild the tranny."

As for the rest of his replies the car sounds in good shape. My question to you guys is does this sound correct on how he fixed the transmission problem? Is this something that could have occurred and what should I watch out for. Are there any long term issues that might arise from this or should I consider it repaired? The car shows no codes BTW.

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Surprisingly enough there are quite a few people who have removed that bolt, thinking they were draining the transmission. If you remove it you relaese the anchor point for the reverse band and lose reverse gear.
If you search the X400 forum you will find a couple of tricks listed for getting it back in the right position and saving a great deal of money repairing the transmission.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd say since seller addressed your question that's good indication of how he's maintained the car. Should be worth a look IMO.