X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premature Inside Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature Inside Tire wear

I need advice on why I go through a set of brand new tires a year due to the (FRONT) inside tread wearing down to the threads and the rest of the tread on the tire is fine. I had a 4 wheel alignment done twice and it was on spec both times. It is a 2004 AWD X-type 3.0. I do feel a slight vibration/wobble in the front wheels at 45-70 mph. I was going to replace all the suspension components but woud rather only replace what the true problem is instead of replacing things that dont need replaced. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

rainbowboy, first off, welcome to Jaguarforums. I think you will find a lot of good information here. But, we do ask a simple favor of you first. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch here and we like to get to know one another. That will also give you a chance to figure out who the movers and shakers are around here. Besides, you may also get a nice surprise. So, grab a cup of Joe, sit back, and enjoy the site.

As for your issue, I have this same sort of issue with my car (granted, not going through tires like you are). First off, does your alignment shop have the revised numbers for the alignment of the X-Type? Jaguar sent out new numbers for how the car should be aligned. If you don't have them, let me know and we can get you the numbers. Secondly, if you have some loose parts in your steering (either the outer tie rod ends or the inner tie rods), that can put a little bit of play into the steering, leading to the wobbling that you are getting. The third thing that can be giving you grief is if one of your rims is not true (ie, perfectly round and spinning correctly). The steering parts should be caught by your alignment shop, but the wheels being out may not be. That is where you can try rotating the tires front to rear and seeing if the problem changes. That would confirm that you have a rim that is not true. Unfortunately, the easiest fix for that is to get a new rim. A tire shop can put all the tires on one of their machines and then attach a dial indicator to the rim to see how true the rim is. That will tell them if you have a rim that has been curb checked/pot hole damaged or not.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
rainbowboy (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New numbers for alinement X-type

Hello Chris
I would like the numbers. just to make sure my shop has them.
Thanks
Bill

2004 x-type

Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

Bill, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the TSB from jaguar with the new numbers. That way the shop knows you are not pulling numbers out of somewhere.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Much exchanging of information between owners a few years ago came to the conclusion that on AWD X Types, the best setting for toe is 0 degrees, that is with the wheels dead straight. I've used that setting for seven years and never had any uneven wear on front or rear tyres and get about 25000 miles per set.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thx for your reply...please send me the specs if you wouldnt mind.

Originally Posted by Thermo
rainbowboy, first off, welcome to Jaguarforums. I think you will find a lot of good information here. But, we do ask a simple favor of you first. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch here and we like to get to know one another. That will also give you a chance to figure out who the movers and shakers are around here. Besides, you may also get a nice surprise. So, grab a cup of Joe, sit back, and enjoy the site.

As for your issue, I have this same sort of issue with my car (granted, not going through tires like you are). First off, does your alignment shop have the revised numbers for the alignment of the X-Type? Jaguar sent out new numbers for how the car should be aligned. If you don't have them, let me know and we can get you the numbers. Secondly, if you have some loose parts in your steering (either the outer tie rod ends or the inner tie rods), that can put a little bit of play into the steering, leading to the wobbling that you are getting. The third thing that can be giving you grief is if one of your rims is not true (ie, perfectly round and spinning correctly). The steering parts should be caught by your alignment shop, but the wheels being out may not be. That is where you can try rotating the tires front to rear and seeing if the problem changes. That would confirm that you have a rim that is not true. Unfortunately, the easiest fix for that is to get a new rim. A tire shop can put all the tires on one of their machines and then attach a dial indicator to the rim to see how true the rim is. That will tell them if you have a rim that has been curb checked/pot hole damaged or not.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply and certianly appreciate the advice...I will get my profile updated as well. I would appreciate the updated specs for the alignment if you wouldnt mind sending them to hooverkerby@yahoo.com I did rotate the tires twice and didnt help at all. Would you be able to tell me what the black hard plastic piece that is about 12" long that is vertical and beside the strut above the tie rod on the front wheels is it looks like it has a white plastic on each end and I noticed it is easily twisted by my hard with alot of play in it. Maybe it could be a problem as well. Have a great day.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hope this helps.
So I need to change my driver side outer tie rod, and get 2 new rear tires. I'm hoping the new tie rod will help my shaking steering wheel between 65-70mph. Will be moving my 2 existing front tires to the rear and put 2 new ones up front balanced and do an alignment.

Would you happen to have those alignment #'s still available ?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was having similar issues until I went with a bigger 17 inch tire for my stock rims .. I switched to a 245/45/17. Now all tires wear evenly,plus gives the cat a nice wide stance.

Last edited by K Jonesey; 07-15-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:31 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by rainbowboy
Would you be able to tell me what the black hard plastic piece that is about 12" long that is vertical and beside the strut above the tie rod on the front wheels is it looks like it has a white plastic on each end and I noticed it is easily twisted by my hard with alot of play in it. Maybe it could be a problem as well. Have a great day.

Rainbowboy,

this is the stabilizer bar link I just replaced mine got them from rockauto.com for $27 each.
you should check the control arm bushings, and your wheel bearings. there are some great vids on youtube showing you how to do this if you do not know how.
do you have any clunks, bangs or squeaks when you drive on an uneven road?
remember to be safe.

Last edited by Paulc732; 07-08-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

myexcursion, when you have the new tires replaced, have the shop do a run-out on the rims. I know I was experiencing the same thing you were and after replacing pretty much the whole front end (lower ball joints, struts, strut bearings, outer tie rod ends, wheel bearings), I still have a slight wobble and during the runout check, both of my front rims have a slight bend to them. So, odds are, my wobble is complements of 2 bent rims.

The following users liked this post:
myexcursion (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 AM

myexcursion, when you have the new tires replaced, have the shop do a run-out on the rims. I know I was experiencing the same thing you were and after replacing pretty much the whole front end (lower ball joints, struts, strut bearings, outer tie rod ends, wheel bearings), I still have a slight wobble and during the runout check, both of my front rims have a slight bend to them. So, odds are, my wobble is complements of 2 bent rims.
Thermo - Will do ! BTW --would you happen to have those (Tsb) revised #'s I can give the alignment shop ? They're doing a wheel alignment ( included with the tie rod install ) as well. Thx

Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Actually I think I may found the new updated alignment #'s. Attaching them to this post in the event anyone else may need them in the future and is searching threads -

Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT204-03 Wheel Alignment.pdf (21.5 KB, 292 views)
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

myexcursion, that looks like the form I would have sent you.