X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prep after storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep after storage?

Hi - I'm a first time poster - and first time Jag owner - and I've been digging through these forums voraciously for the past few days.

First and foremost, thanks to the countless people here who've posted tha many, many things I've learned about X-types. I've loved the way Jags looked (any model) since I was probably 10 years old and went to my first car show at Stan Hewitt in Akron, Ohio.

Well. I finally bought my first - and hopefully not last - Jaguar, a 3.0L 04 X-type w/ 92k miles that I picked up Monday and enjoy more every time I drive.

The lot I bought it from said no one had driven - or even looked at it - since they picked it up roughly a year ago.

I've driven it a few times on a couple short trips out and about, but could use any suggestions on what I should do to make sure it's ready to roll maintenance-wise since it had been sitting for so long.

All fluid levels look good and I will be changing the oil this weekend but could use any additional suggestions on what should be done to get it ready for daily driving.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, guidance or links!

AftrBrnr

Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

After the oil and filter, I'd change out the fuel filter, then the brake fluid.

If as you've said, you've been "digging through these forums voraciously" you know about the "Sealed for Life" fluid changes that is needed with the Torque Convertor and Transmission, and the advisability of swapping out everything you can, including the anti-freeze.

But the Fuel system and brakes are the ones that can find you with your thumb out looking for a ride. Both fluids are "hygroscopic". meaning they could have pulled WATER from the air whilst just sitting there.

Ain't it a sweet car?

Have you found yourself driving past the same or certain store windows more than a few times yet, just to see how you look - in the reflection - simply driving down the street?

(That is a dopey question: OF COURSE you have!)

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a world-class automobile! Your nick hints at speed and flight, which likely means youth. Think "More *** than a toilet seat" because you now drive a Jaguar, and you won't be far off the mark.

Take care of your new Jaguar, and it will last you well into your "shaking a cane and yelling at kids to get off your lawn" years.

Attached Thumbnails Prep after storage?-movies_clint_eastwood_gran_torino_get_off_my_desktop_1920x1080_hd-wallpaper-157112.jpg