X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventive maintenance for a "new" used Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventive maintenance for a "new" used Jaguar

My brother in-law recently purchased a 2004 Jaguar X-Type with only 50K. The car is apparently the awd 3.0 liter. The car appears to be in great shape, but I was wondering what should be done for preventive maintenance? What issue should he watch out for? I am not at all familiar with Jags in general.

Paul

Old 04-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Oil/filter change, power steering fluid change, transmission fluid change (despite Jaguar's "sealed system-permanent" fluid claim and no dip stick), transfer case and rear differential fluid change. Check under search, advanced search, input what you are looking for, change "all" forum to X only. Nearly everything that has or could go wrong is available in search function which saves time, aggravation and adding clutter to the forum by asking continually questions that have been answered ad nauseam.

On transmission, transfer, etc. fluid replacement, if you do the search adding my name, there is a very comprehensive and detailed explanation of fluid change with pictures, fluid type (again wrong one wrecks your transmission) and a DEFINITIVE ANSWER to which plug to use in level checking (the wrong one screws up your transmission).

The next thing to watch for is rear tire "pigeon toeing". Common when the cars age a bit and there is a member here ("Thermo") who came up with an adjustable aftermarket component fix. Commonly called ("Thermo'd) rear suspension fix.

And because it's 2004, if you need to ask questions (especially electrical and some parts) look at the manufactured date on the driver's side door tag. The early 2004 is different than the later 2004 (called 2004+).

Even through it has very low miles and has not hit the mileage interval yet for brake fluid change, because of the age I would think about it. Again read the posts here as it is not as straight forward as it seems and has caused lots of people aggravation.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 04-18-2019 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dell Gailey:
BlownKitty (04-18-2019), brianelyo (05-05-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Oil/filter change, power steering fluid change, transmission fluid change (despite Jaguar's "sealed system-permanent" fluid claim and no dip stick), transfer case and rear differential fluid change. Check under search, advanced search, input what you are looking for, change "all" forum to X only. Nearly everything that has or could go wrong is available in search function which saves time, aggravation and adding clutter to the forum by asking continually questions that have been answered ad nauseam.

On transmission, transfer, etc. fluid replacement, if you do the search adding my name, there is a very comprehensive and detailed explanation of fluid change with pictures, fluid type (again wrong one wrecks your transmission) and a DEFINITIVE ANSWER to which plug to use in level checking (the wrong one screws up your transmission).

The next thing to watch for is rear tire "pigeon toeing". Common when the cars age a bit and there is a member here ("Thermo") who came up with an adjustable aftermarket component fix. Commonly called ("Thermo'd) rear suspension fix.

And because it's 2004, if you need to ask questions (especially electrical and some parts) look at the manufactured date on the driver's side door tag. The early 2004 is different than the later 2004 (called 2004+).

Even through it has very low miles and has not hit the mileage interval yet for brake fluid change, because of the age I would think about it. Again read the posts here as it is not as straight forward as it seems and has caused lots of people aggravation.
I also bought mine with low miles. In addition to the above I flushed the radiator, replaced all the o2 sensors, spark plugs, control arms and shocks/struts. I consider all the above as basic and necessary if you plan to keep the car a while. Enjoy.