Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Problems with lights

Hey guys I bought a set of the h1 sylvania silverstar lights about a month ago and blew one out than replaced the one and put them in my foglight. I than last week bought another set of these lights for my headlight because I noticed a headlight bulb out. Well within 2 days she was burnt out again. Than I put the regular one in and it is still in there two days later???? Any ideas on the cause of this?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Problems with lights

The alternator voltage when you start your jag is roughly 15 volts output, as the engine warms ups it drops down to about 13.1. If you start your car and your headlights come on there is a good chance that the bulbs are getting the 15 volts causing their early demise.

Another possible problem could be that you "touched" the bulb with your greasy fingers....the oils from your skin can actually make the bulb go bad. You must wear gloves (latex) or some other sort of protection as to not touch the bulb when installing it.

Last but not least I haven't heard too may things about the Sylvania silverstar bulbs. Nothing negative nor positive. So I can't really tell you anything as far as bulb quality, but it would help if they list the peak voltage the bulbs can handle, like I said on initial start your jag peaks out at 15 volts and the bulbs might not be handling it too well... Kinda like plugging a 110 toaster into a 220 outlet....

Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

I figured all of these things in figuring it out. I know your not allowed to touch the bulbs but to me it doesn't make sense that the stock ones (or at least the ones that were already in there) can handle it and these can't. I am always careful not to touch the bulb. If it were grease on my hands the first 4 times I took the stock ones out of the car they should have blown by now. I'm thinking that maybe these bulbs are just crappy. I'm just wondering if I have a wiring problem and if so when I do get hid's that I am not going to be able to replace the 100 dollar bulbs every other day. But I'm sure that all the the ballast and what not keep the system from surging, right? Also I would hope that sylvania would manufacture the bulbs to be able to handle the surge no matter if it hit 20 volts. Electrical systems are spurratic I don't know why they would make it be able to handle it. I'll have to check to see what the max voltage is on the package. Thanks though well just see what happens. I was just seeing if anyone else has had this problem.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Now the passenger side blew this morning but the non-sylvania bulb is still doing fine. I hate this!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

lol
Ok, get the correct bulbs..a.k.a NON Sylvania bulbs...maybe another brand.....get latex gloves, and install them in pairs. When you get that done, check your alternater output voltage with volt meter and make sure the regulator is not exceeding 15 volts on start up.

Also, do a search for sylvania bulbs, or just bulbs, i remember reading another guys post who had the same exact problem....I'm not sure what was done to correct it. I think he had a bad ground...

Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I don't understand it man. When the passenger side bulb blew I had the lights off and than I turned them on before I left and bam it was already blown-startup voltage? If it were a ground why would the original bulbs I replaced work fine? (not that I'm arguing I just like to use deductive reasoning to find answers!) I think its just the sylvania problem! I also replaced them in pairs and that is when the first one blew!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Well a bad ground can casue a spike in voltage when you turn the lights on.....also when the alternator starts, that inital spike going to the bulds with a bad or weak ground can cause them to blow.

Like you said, just might be a Sylvania thing...did you get a differnt set yet??

The other guy also had Sylvania bulbs...

Old 12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

No havn't been home since wednesday. Had my boys' baby shower yesterday and I've been building his baby crib for the shower. Crib looks good though!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/D7C71F478EC54807B770B672A6C169E5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, looks nice and congrats

The following users liked this post:
Lizzy (01-05-2016)
Old 12-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks and last week I replaced the lights with another set of the sylvania silverstars and even used di-electric grease that the guy at advanced auto parts gave me because it was the same guy I had taken them back to and he just gave the grease to me. Well the next morning (wednesday) I started the car to let her warm up and than turned on the lights to make sure they weren't blown and looked at them and they were fine. I turned my back on the car to grab the door to my house and the driver side burned out when I turned to look at it! Than I was at a job with my dad and I was showing him how I just replaced the light the night before and the side burned out and he was standing there looking at the light for about 10 seconds and than out of nowhere the passenger side burned out!!! So I go back to advanced auto and the guy has been awesome and he let me return them I got the one stock bulb and I decided to look in a couple of books to check and see what h1 bulbs were out and found some xenon brand bulbs that have 60% xenon gas in them for $24. He ordered them Thursday and they should be here tomorrow. I think the reason they blew were because of the tiny coil inside of the bulb. The regular halogen bulb out ther for 7 bucks has a thicker coil and they have been in there since thursday and they are still going thus far--knock on wood! Hopefully these bulbs work once I get them!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, it just sounds like you may have bought the wrong bulbs...

Old 12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Can't buy the wrong bulbs if its an h3 they are totally different than the h1. No I got the lights I special ordered and have had them in there for over a week and the one blew a couple days later but the other one has been in for over a week and hasn't blown since??? I am just going to get the stock xenons! Anybody know where I can get them-I want the entire headlamp with the xenons attached to them? Oh yeah, other than ebay?

Old 12-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member

well i suppose it may have been because of the full moon?

Old 12-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I guess. I just hope with new headlamp unit the xenon/hids don't blow!!!