X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prop shaft boot seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop shaft boot seal

hi there everyone, I was wondering if anyone else has had to replace this seal & knows either the part number or where to get one from , I have spoken to my local jag dealer & sng barret, sng said can't supply it & jag does not seem to show it on there prop shaft break down drawing which they faxed to me , the seal which according to my local garage is leaking cv oil , it is like a boot seal which goes around the shiny part of the shaft where it enters the auto gearbox & is designed to slide on the shiny part so the shaft can move in & out as the engine & gearbox bounce when you are driving , it is a smooth finish on the outside ie not ribbed like a steering rack boot , & is steel band crimped onto the wider part of the prop shaft , it is about 2 inches long.
This part must where before most other prop shaft parts as it is always moving.
Please help as I am worried that if all the cv oil comes out it will seriously damage the prop shaft.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

what kind of car?

if its an x-type, you probably have a leak coming from the output flange of your transfer case. as the transfer-case fluid leaks into the propshaft cv-joint it pushes the cv grease out. Can be fixed by disconnecting prop from t-case. remove nut from output flange but leave flange on t-case. clean out grease then apply a bead of rtv where splines of t-case meet the output flange. apply a small bead to nut removed then install nut back onto t-case and torque to 120 Ft-lb. (torque of this nut is important if you want your t-case to last). Then clean grease out of prop cv and re-pack with new cv grease. then reinstall prop shaft to.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Default reply

Oh , OK , yes it is a 2001 x type 3.0 l sport with 4 wheel drive, there doesn't look like there is any leak from the gearbox to the prop , but I guess that if its coming through inside the prop the I wouldn't see it , thanks for the reply I will have a look at what you are suggesting.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Default had a look

yes you were spot on dropped the prop shaft down & sure enough there was oil in there coming from the seal behind the big nut.
I decided to check th transfer box oil level whilst I had the car over the pit & now I have a new problem I found bits of metal on the magnetic plug so I think the transfer box is on its way out.
I will now be looking to see if I can get the parts to recon it as a new transfer box looks like it would be mega money.