X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prop shaft help PLEASE

Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face prop shaft help PLEASE

I have been reading the older posts on the prop shaft bearing. Over a year ago maybe even two years ago I got grease into my bearing with the needle and it quieted down so I know this is my problem. Its time to change the bearing so I ordered the bearing itself not the whole prop shaft. Please someone give me a idea on how or what I need to do to remove the prop shaft and change the bearing. From what I understand it will need pressed out and the new one pressed back in. I was hoping to remove the prop shaft myself to take to a shop or a friend with a press to have this done Im just not sure where to start or what needs to be done exactly. If someone can chime in on this it would be appreciated. If I had the money right now to just have a shop do the whole job I would but uncle sam wants his money from me again this year and moneys tight (I'm self employed, gotta love it)

Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

taking the shaft out is easy. Just need a rachet set to open the few bolts on the transfer case side, then the 2 bolts around the hanger bearing and then a few bolts on the differential side. Should come right out. Now as far as removing the bearing I have no clue but would love to hear how because I want mine done too.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove all four self lovking nuts and bolts from the front as well as rear attachment then remove the four securing screws, brackets and lock washers. Remove the housing in which bearing is loacted. remove the bolt from the flange on the shaft and then remove the housing from the bearing. locate the bearing, remove and replace it with a new one.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies, I will hopefully get to it this weekend. I will post up on how things go...