XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken antenna solution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default broken antenna solution?

No, not the old wire coat hanger, as classy as it is. On my '97 vert, I spaced out and left my radio on in the carwash. Duh! I pulled the old antenna out, and then read several of our threads on mast or unit replacement. Most started years ago, and had some updates, but I never found an answer to this "solution".

5" Universal Carbon Fiber Stubby Short Stubby Car Radio Am FM Antenna Aerial | eBay

Why couldn't I just screw one of the double threaded fittings into the old lower antenna shaft, and then screw one of these little stubby antennas on? My wife's Nissan has this type and it works quite well. I'd much rather have one of these than that stupid 3'+ telescoping mast that goes up no matter what I'm listening to.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I used a two and a half or three foot black replacement antenna, so I don't see a reason that the little rubber job shouldn't work.

If you want to stay with the electric telescoping antenna, there are cheap simple wire in replacement options out there, or if you didn't damage your antenna motor, you can have someone turn the radio on, and pull out the remainder of the antenna track, and install a replacement track, by doing things by running the antenna through it's cycles a time or two pushing the gear track down through the hole. Before you do any of this remove the remainder of the old antenna.

The antenna hole will be bigger than the adapters they give you for the rubber, or stationary antenna. You will need to use your imagination on that. I used a larger bolt as an adapter, and ground it down, and threaded it until the nonpower antenna would fit. I notched it, and put electrical heat shrink tubing on it, to keep water out of the trunk area.

If you can get the old antenna track, and what is left of the old antenna out, the replacement power antenna mast is the easiest route, and costs about the same......be cool......Mike

Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

If you go with the stubby please us know how it works. I've been disappointed with the cars AM radio reception since I bought it. If the stubby works better..... who knows.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

AM who the heck listens to AM? Crazy talk I tell ya, crazy talk!

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by scardini1
If you go with the stubby please us know how it works. I've been disappointed with the cars AM radio reception since I bought it. If the stubby works better..... who knows.

Well, here's where I am so far. I used the remaining part of the original antenna, which was broken off part way up the 3rd extension. I made sure the rest of the broken piece was rounded, then pushed it down into the remaining 2nd extension. I would surmise that the length of the broken piece would have an effect here. I have disassembled quite a few of these telescoping antennas to use for model car exhaust pipes, and the clips usually have to be removed by cutting the shaft off just above it. In my case the length is ok because it left plenty of depth for the "replacement".

The stubby I bought has several adapters to use with fixed antennas, normally the screw on type. I bought a 12" piece of 1/4" threaded steel rod, which I shoved down into the remaining antenna tube. It is about 4" too long, but I have not cut it shorter yet because I need to see how the AM reception will be. With the 4" stubby and one adapter screwed onto the threaded rod I get good FM reception -- in my garage. Can't verify any distance reception, but I am at least 20 miles from any transmitter antennas.

Tested the AM this morning. Pretty weak. I had to add shaft length to get a strong enough signal to set my stations. I don't think these radios are very high quality, but neither are the transmissions from Sacramento. So, I'm going to play with the length of the antenna since I have that extra 4" on the rod. I'm not sure this $10 Auto Zone antenna is very food, either. Their next choice was a very flexible 14" unit, which I didn't want.

I'll do some road testing and see what happens. Since my wife's Versa uses a roof mounted stubby about 7-8", I know it can be done. BUT....maybe Nissan actually has more AM antenna lead in the roof. Both my Suburban and Yukon with all the OnStar and XM radio antenna still uses a 24-28" steel vertical antenna of the right front fender. There must be a reason.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

What you've got there really is a trial-and-error sort of problem. The length of antenna you'll need will depend on the signal strength of the particular stations you want to receive (and the time of day).

Overall, the shorter masts you're experimenting with won't be as good as that big ugly pole they install at the factory.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

The telescoping antenna is a fad issue. When the XK8 first came out, the telescoping antenna was "The Thing". There was nothing else, but to have one on your car. Pulling up behind someone back then and have them turn on their radio and you seeing that antenna come out of nowhere was something. Seeing it disappear was another. I'm old, I know, but I still think it's neat as hell.

The thing I dislike however, is that what ever you turn on in the 'listening department' causes the thing to come out. Why do you need an antenna to listen to tapes or your CD changer. I wish The Reverend was still around so he could come up with a fix for that.

Cheers

Old 10-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

He did and it is on this forum!

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
The telescoping antenna is a fad issue. When the XK8 first came out, the telescoping antenna was "The Thing". There was nothing else, but to have one on your car. Pulling up behind someone back then and have them turn on their radio and you seeing that antenna come out of nowhere was something. Seeing it disappear was another. I'm old, I know, but I still think it's neat as hell.

The thing I dislike however, is that what ever you turn on in the 'listening department' causes the thing to come out. Why do you need an antenna to listen to tapes or your CD changer. I wish The Reverend was still around so he could come up with a fix for that.

Cheers

Old 10-08-2015, 03:08 PM

Here's what I came up with. It seems to work well for FM, and so far the AM is good...but I haven't driven far enough away to really tell much.

OK! THE IMAGES WENT TO MY ALBUM. HOW DO I GET THEM TO SHOW UP HERE???

Last edited by oldjaglover; 10-08-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
He did and it is on this forum!

I think he installed a switch in the console that shuts off the power to the antenna.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi all.

To get the antenna to stay down with the radio on is a fairly simple modification.
You have to cut a wire below the cubby box and install an on/off switch which most people have put inside the box.
To find the right wire you need the correct wirediagram for your "my" as the colour of the wire and its connector may vary.
In the "stickies" it's more info on how to do it.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

He had another post where he installed a TV antenna along the back seat.

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
I think he installed a switch in the console that shuts off the power to the antenna.

bradstuff (04-01-2020)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts
Old 10-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

This is the one by the Reverend

Originally Posted by MRomanik

Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Two things in my case: first, I would undoubtedly forget to lower the antenna with the switch since I listen to radio or XM a lot. More broken antennas for sure. Second, I looked at my solution as simple....which it turned out not to be. Right now it works for me, having acquired signal again without having to dig into the interior or disconnect/reconnect the antenna lead from the original housing. Not the best for everyone, but I could do it again in a fraction of the time.

I don't know how to get the pics from my album to this thread, but maybe you can see them on my album.

Maybe this? https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/picture/4337806

Last edited by oldjaglover; 10-09-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

One clarification on the override mod discussed above: the antenna continues to retract automatically -- if it's extended -- when the radio is shut off. The mod lets you disable having the antenna extend in the first place (for example if listening to a CD).

Last edited by Dennis07; 10-09-2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: some info no longer needed
Old 04-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is Rev Sam's You Tube Antenna Replacement.

Timeisrelative (04-01-2020)