X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulley and drive belt info

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default pulley and drive belt info

hey guys, hoping to get some advice regarding replacing the pulley and drive belt on my jag X-type (05plate) 2ltr diesel (RHD).
My car is currently sounding like a bag of spanners when sitting at idle. At times it sounds like its missing/slipping as the revs dip in and out (not me touching the throttle). Im sure its the pulley as the sound is most definitely coming from the engine area behind the drivers front wheel. Dipping the clutch - if listening carefully, slight difference in sound.
So..... my questions guys,
1- do you agree the issue lies with the pulley and belt.
2- when changing these, is it advisable/required to change the tensioner at the same time.

any advice will be appreciated guys, many thanks

Old 03-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If the tensioner spring is broken or weaken then you should, otherwise you don't have to.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd say yes, your noise issue is probably belt and pulleys. To find out though you'll need to take off the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys to check each one. As far as I know the diesel engine in X-Type was never offered in N America, so can't help there. From pictures I find online it looks like the diesel tensioner is different design than that on the gasoline V6. Both engine layouts are similar in that access is through panel in the right wheelwell. Having done the job on my car I can tell you it's tedious because of the tight clearance. How many miles on your car? I don't think you'd need to replace the tensioner itself, but definitely the pulley on it.

Attached Thumbnails pulley and drive belt info-r-access1.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 03-29-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Changed wording.