X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about x-type options

Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about x-type options

If you haven't read my thread in New Members section, I'm looking for an x-type and I have a couple questions about options.

My budget only allows for a 2002-2004 models, and I really want the green gauge faces. If I buy one without them, how hard is it to get some green ones?

Was heated leather seats an option for those years?

And I have a picture of an interior I will have to upload later with some questions.

TIA

Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

heated seats were an option..I have them on my '03. good luck

Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM

This is the interior I'd really like. Was this bought like this? Light seats with black steering wheel? If not, how hard would it be to make this?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I love that wood color. What other color do gauge lights come in. I'd love bright white

Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

bigcat318, from the looks of things, there is only 1 change that has been made to the interior that you show. That would be the steering wheel should be more of a brown vice the all black that is in the picture. As for making that happen, this is about $100 and about an hour of your time. All that you would need to do is to disconnect the battery (VERY!!!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!!!), wait about 5 minutes to let any residual voltage bleed off, remove the air bag (2 screws on the backside as I recall), undo the nut in the center of the steering wheel, and then undo the plugs for the steering wheel. From there, you get a steering wheel puller and pop the old steering wheel off. From there, you install the new steering wheel, tighten the nut down. Install the new airbag (will need to be the black faced one like what is in the picture vice the brown that the car came with) and then reconnect the battery.

On a side note, when you remove the airbag, for safety concerns, pull the airbag from the steering wheel and then immediately point it away from you before pulling the plug. That way, if the airbag for some unknown reason decides to deploy, it will do so away from you. Along those same lines, once the airbag is removed from the vehicle, place it on the ground with the side that normally faces you up. that way, should it deploy, it only puffs up, not get launched across the yard.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM

Oh that's good news because I like the light interior but that brown wheel looks terrible... Where would I find a black steering wheel?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Judging by the grey birds eye maple, the dark grey shift knob and the black steering wheel, that IS an early Sport interior.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

mohrd, true, that wood grain was a little dark for the normal non-sport interior.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM

And that trim is okay, I plan on changing it anyways (unless its that grey wood grain). I like the white or tan seats with black steering wheel and trim. Anybody know about the green gauges? (See 1st post)

Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Green gauges are on my 02 sport. My friends 02 non sport also has them too. Hope that helps

Old 11-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ditto on green gauges

Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I'll ditto that ditto...

Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The setup in the picture is the same in my 02 Sport Premium.
Trim Color Dove
Perforated Steering Wheel
Warm Charcoal / Dove Fascia
Nimbus Grey Headlining
Flint Grey Carpet
Birds Eye Maple Grey Veneer

On the equipment list features
Options that is part of the premium package
Garage door opener
AutoDim Interior Mirror
Heated Front Seats 2 stage
Premium Sound
Reverse Park Control
Headlamp Power Wash
Rain Sensing Wipers
Bi Xenon Headlights

I wish though mine have the navigation. I'm buying stuff at ebay & hopefully & successfully someday to install the navigation. & Rear seat entertainment.

The following users liked this post:
bigcat318 (11-05-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

2004 began the change to non-green gauges.

The following users liked this post:
bigcat318 (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
bigcat318, from the looks of things, there is only 1 change that has been made to the interior that you show. That would be the steering wheel should be more of a brown vice the all black that is in the picture. As for making that happen, this is about $100 and about an hour of your time. All that you would need to do is to disconnect the battery (VERY!!!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!!!), wait about 5 minutes to let any residual voltage bleed off, remove the air bag (2 screws on the backside as I recall), undo the nut in the center of the steering wheel, and then undo the plugs for the steering wheel. From there, you get a steering wheel puller and pop the old steering wheel off. From there, you install the new steering wheel, tighten the nut down. Install the new airbag (will need to be the black faced one like what is in the picture vice the brown that the car came with) and then reconnect the battery.

On a side note, when you remove the airbag, for safety concerns, pull the airbag from the steering wheel and then immediately point it away from you before pulling the plug. That way, if the airbag for some unknown reason decides to deploy, it will do so away from you. Along those same lines, once the airbag is removed from the vehicle, place it on the ground with the side that normally faces you up. that way, should it deploy, it only puffs up, not get launched across the yard.
On that note, can I put a steering wheel from a S-Type on an X-Type?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

bigcat318, I believe it will physically mount up. But, where you may have issues is getting the steering wheel buttons to work properly. This would mean pulling the pins out of the S-Type steering wheel, putting the X-Type plug on the end, matching up the wires to the correct spots inside of the plug, and then hoping that the switches on the S-Type wheel are the same resistance as the ones on the X-Type. I can find the values of the S-Type resistors, but the X-Type diagrams are mum on their values. So, it will be a hit and miss sort of thing. It may be possible that the switches are interchangeable, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
bigcat318, I believe it will physically mount up. But, where you may have issues is getting the steering wheel buttons to work properly. This would mean pulling the pins out of the S-Type steering wheel, putting the X-Type plug on the end, matching up the wires to the correct spots inside of the plug, and then hoping that the switches on the S-Type wheel are the same resistance as the ones on the X-Type. I can find the values of the S-Type resistors, but the X-Type diagrams are mum on their values. So, it will be a hit and miss sort of thing. It may be possible that the switches are interchangeable, but I am not 100% sure on that.
Ok, so plausible. Thats good news, and since I'm looking for a grey or white interior and most of the cars I'm finding are black, how hard is it to either find light colored seats/console, or upholster the black seats myself?

Old 11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcat318
Ok, so plausible. Thats good news, and since I'm looking for a grey or white interior and most of the cars I'm finding are black, how hard is it to either find light colored seats/console, or upholster the black seats myself?
What you are probably running into is that most sport models had black interior. Thats exactly the same problem I ran into while looking at what jag to buy

Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 PM

That is exactly what's happened. Even non-sport manual trans. I wish I wasn't so picky, but I'm also patient!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM

This is a list of things I want:
-light interior
-manual trans
-heated seats
-exterior: not red or blue

If I found one with manual trans, dark interior with heated seats, how hard would it be to change most of the interior light? Seats, console, door trim etc?

OR

If I found one with light interior and no heated seats, how hard is it to install heaters? With factory switches? This sounds like the cheapest/easiest option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about x-type options