Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quite a few headaches.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quite a few headaches.

Hey guys,

Hopefully you will be able to give me some insight on at least one of these problems because they have been somewhat of a mystery and I haven't been able to figure out exactly what they could be from my where scouring of this forum.

Ok so to start I have an 04 xtype 2.5 manual. 88k on it and I have owned it for about 5 months and I feel like it has been in the shop more than I've driven it.

To start there is something wrong with my speedometer. It will on and off stop working entirely. The situations that it seems to be the most consistent in this is when I am coming up to a stop sign or simply slowing down and down shifting. The speedometer falls off the charts and no other lights pop up as it is happening. This does not happen when I am on the interstate or staying at a constant speed. The odd part about it is that once my car is shut off and turned back on the speedometer works instantly until I start to slow down again. I at a complete loss as to what this could be I don't know if it is electrical or some sort of sensor that is going bad.

Now for the second issue. It is with my a/c, when I start driving I have cold air and the fans are blowing great after about 10 to 15 min of driving the cold stops and it blows just regular air. Due to me having to start and restart my car on the fly from the speedometer not working correctly I have noticed that the moment my car is shut off and turned back on it instantly starts to blow cold again. The fans work they will always blow air and speed doesn't not affect this problem I can be in rush hour or driving 70 down the interstate. Once t has been restarted it is cold but only for another 15 min or so and then back to just regular air. I tested to see if when the a/c goes out if the heat does as well and the heat blows hot the whole time.

I am not sure if the third problem is linked to the previous to but it random stalling of my car usually when coming to a stop sign on a downhill. When I am downshifting from 3rd to 2nd it will sometimes sporadically stall to where I don't even know it until I realize my power steering is not there. When it stalls the battery and one other light pop up and then disappear. I am completely lost on this one and what could be causing it but it I have a feeling is the worst of the three.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time and one last question, does the smell of a clutch going bad smell any where similar to an oil leak in an engine because I have smell that arises after driving for a period of time that only is capable of being smelled once you have stopped. I am not sure if the clutch is going bad or if there is a leak. Thanks guys!!

Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Most of these problems seem to be pretty common, a quick search on this great site should provide all the info you need to get them sorted.

I believe that the three problems you listed are most probably resulting from:

1. Bad wheel speed sensor(s).
2. A/C Compressor Regulator Valve. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...b00183nas1-pdf
3. Vacuum leak from worn/leaking intake manifold gaskets.

Lastly clutch and oil leak smells are pretty different. You may have a leaks on your oil pan gasket, they are pretty common and drip onto the exhaust causing a nice odor. I'd check there first.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by ltmax; 05-13-2014 at 08:37 PM.