Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing: A dose of humility

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing: A dose of humility

An amusing anecdote...

One or two weeks ago on a Friday, I was driving down to NYC from MA. It had been raining all evening, and the rain had lessened to a drizzle at one point while I was on the highway in CT.

I slowly approached a Ford Mustang from behind and, all of a sudden, had the sudden urge to race. :-P I pulled-up next to him and lined-up with his nose and kept tapping my gas so that I'd overtake him by a couple inches, and then drop back.... overtake by a couple inches, and drop back (signalling to him, basically).

Anyway, to make a long-story short, we raced and I schooled him. Partially because I had a bit more power than him, partially because it was raining and he may have been more cautious than me (no AWD on hi car... nyah*).

On Sunday night I drove back to MA from NYC. Feeling rather ambitious from my victory with the Mustang a couple nights earlier, I thought I'd "pick another fight".

Again at night, I saw a car a short distance behind me... from it's body/shape, I could tell that it was a BMW 3-series car. I turned on my emergency blinkers for a couple seconds... again signalling "wanna go?". He turned his one too for a few seconds replying "hell yeah" and then pulled right up next to me.

To my HORROR, the BMW 325/330 that I thought I was going to race actually turned out to be an M3. "DON'T HURT ME!"

He gunned-it, tore away, and essentially ripped me a new bung-hole.

lol.... anyhoo, it was thoroughly amusing to me.

<EDIT>
I removed myjab at Jim... why create drama.
</EDIT>

Old 11-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts
Default RE: Racing: A dose of humility

LOL, you enjoyed your time .I always evaluate mustangs being very overrated as well

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

The only Mustang I have ever seen over here was 2.5 years ago 10 mins after I picked my X type up on my way home in it.
I thought I'd see what he'd got and he was a lot quicker than me.The only reason I beat him to the roundabout at the motorway was because I took adifferent routeand a few miles further on he was waiting to join the roundabout as I went around.
I joined the motorway and floored it....saw him approaching in my mirror and pulled over (doing well over 100) and he went passed like I was stopped.Dont think it would have made any difference if it had been wet.
They have a lot more power than the X...even mine at 241.6bhp and no limiter ;-)

Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Maybe it was a V6 Mustang... I don't think the X would hold up against a GT.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting story, something similar happened with me on my way from NYC to Atlantic City. I was cruising around 80and therewas abrand newCorvette upahead, but every timeI tried to get close for a look, he would speed up. Then a 00-04 Mustang came up nexto me out of nowhere and the Corvette must have seen him coming up because the Corvette just floored it, and so did I along withthe Mustang. I was able to follow the Corvette for a good 2 minutes before he completely disappeared from my view, while the Mustang gave up trying to keep up with me after4 minutes or so.

And yea, Im sure it was a V6 mustang, only had about 190 hp on him, no way the X-type's 227 hp going to keep up with the GT's V8.

I also ended up racing with an Acura RSX on the way back up, we were at it for an hour over taking each other, until I had to stop in for gas. and when I got back on the road about10 miles up, the same RSX was pulled over by a Statie. Another thing I love about this car, who would you pull over for speeding? a Stickered up RSX or a niceshiny X-type ? I love it.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 PM
one

You must have been racing an LX model (slow boat). It takes everything I have to stay even with the newer GT's in my Mercedes CLK430 and that's a 300hp V/S 300hp V8 battle. After 75 mph I pull past them, but up to 75 the torque of the ford V-8 has been something they held the crown on for many years in the GT stangs. I can walk past my 05 X-type sipping coffee and reading a newspaper in my CLK so there's not a chance in you know what the X can roll a GT on the freeway.

I did find a sweet spot for these cars though in the higher speed. After 65 mph they really pull well up to 100. Much more than I figured they would since they are such a slug on low end with the AWD. I was very impressed with the "passing gear" from 65 to 100 on the X.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Be careful out there guys, racing is dangerous. I would never...(ahem) let me stop.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM

Mine is slower than my 99MTX cougar. Mind your its has all SVT parts on it mainly. but still its a step behind it. I anxiously waitiing to get the jag breathing better. BTW is that arden CAI any good. With I/H/E that should open this car up. just gonna need some silencers though not looking to make any noise.....

Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM

I actually haven't had any experience with cold air intakes on jags... I've tried reading around on this forum to see what people thought of it. My initial impression was that people sortof discouraged it?

I don't think I ever saw anyone who posted and said that adding a CAI to their X-Type gave them much performance enhancement (unfortunately). Let me know if you think/see otherwise, though.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  7.4 KB

Nice one on the Mustang Happilute............bit of a bummer about the bimmer though.
M3's rock!

Jim

Old 11-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CougarBlack

Mine is slower than my 99MTX cougar.
You a NECO member? Have you done the SVT UIM/LIM?
Ask b/c I'm a fellow CDW27 owner. I'm actually a CEG (Contour) member.

These cars aren't speed demons, nor did Jaguar intend it to when it designed it. IIRC, the 3.0L auto was running low 16's on the quarter mile. [&:]

Nice kill with the Stang. I'm willing to bet it was a V6 auto, as well. Yeah, don't mess with those M3's! Sure are beautiful cars, though!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sbxt

Maybe it was a V6 Mustang... I don't think the X would hold up against a GT.
the v6 stang is a dog. You would have gotten spanked bya v8 GT

Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: ancientsanskrit
IIRC, the 3.0L auto was running low 16's on the quarter mile. [&:]
Glad I went for the manual..if the auto is that slow.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man when are we gonna compare apple's to apple's? I would think a v6 stang would still pull away from our x's except in higher gears, I'm sure they'd be quite similar in acceleration depending on conditions. More than likely the stang being rear wheel drive, it'd be hard to keep the stang from at least somewhat spinning the rear tires on it...x-type's a different story though! ; ) I love being able to floor it no matter what the conditions!
LX stang-less than 20k
gt- +25k
x-type-about 35k
corvette- can't touch one for less than 50k...not too much to compare! Love the new vette's though...I'd love a z06!!! (even though I'm not a gm guy...)

Old 11-24-2007, 03:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree if you want to compare cars then you dont compare a pony car to a luxury car. Its not even the same league. The x-type is meant to be a somewhat sport car with the functionality of awd. The stang is a pony car the v6 is just meant to be enjoyed as a coupe. I dont know why people buy the v6 stang. Unless you just want a rag top but I wouldn't get anything less than a GT.

If you want to compare apples to apples it would be maybe an Audi a4 vs jag x-type.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

LOL, V6 stang is nothing but pinchbeck crappy would- be sports car [8D]....I wonder if it's called a sports car what can you say about Lamborghini Murcielago LP640
Anyway, Doug Fehan always does a great job in GM and thanks to his huge experience Vette sets level in its class amongs US rivals

Old 11-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My advise to you, race any one of those cars from stop light to stop light.............. in the rain of course!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehe. I did a little power brake the other day on mom's X-type at a light....and whoa, put me back in the seat. That was nice power distribution thanks to AWD.

Then there was the Evo I sat in at a 4k launch, nearly shat my pants. I thought we had a flux capacitor in the back of the thing!!!

I would love to get my hands on an STI or EVO as a next car, but in all reality they both look absolutely ridiculous (like I stepped out of a Japanese anime or something).

Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine racing anybody in my jag and I never try since I don't want to be humiliated! I have an auto trans and to make things worse I have the 2.5 liter engine. But of course I will race them in rain or snow! thats another story!

Quick Reply: Racing: A dose of humility