X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Radio Code

I am going to buy a new battery for my 03 X. In the audio manual it say all radios need a code if the battery is disconnected.

Someone on the board several weeks ago mentioned a way to press two buttons on the radio which will reactivate it without the code I can' find the tread. Can the person who posted this info please repost.

Thanks!!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Wouldn't you be able to get the code from the dealer? I don't know about Jaguar, but with GM vehicles if you go to a service center and can show proof of ownership(registration and ID) they will look it up in the database and if you still have the original radio, it should be tied to the VIN.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Smile Dealer and radio

Due to my physical handicap I cannot drive to my dealer which is 28 miles one way. I called them on the phone and they wouldn't give me the code, unless I was there in person. I told them I was handicapped and it didn't seem to matter to them. Very non customer service type of dealer.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've replaced my battery and also disconnected the battery several times. Have not needed a radio code.
My 2005 has the Alpine, no nav/touch screen combination.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Ditto, I disconnected my battery (for about 5 minutes only) and no code was needed. My advise is get the new battery, get your buddy to replace it all at the same time so you only have it disconnected for a few minutes.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Code

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I am going to buy a new battery for my 03 X. In the audio manual it say all radios need a code if the battery is disconnected.

Someone on the board several weeks ago mentioned a way to press two buttons on the radio which will reactivate it without the code I can' find the tread. Can the person who posted this info please repost.

Thanks!!
The Radio Manual says only cars made for the European Market need radio code when the battery is disconnected. This could be true because I replaced my battery yesterday and the radio did not need a code. it just went on without a problem.

The thread about about the overriding of the code says: Press FFWD and PTY buttons for a few seconds to overide the the code. I have'nt tried this but I hope it works for you.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many places that sell batteries (such as Autozone) have a little device they plug into the cigarette lighter which will maintain enough power in your system while the battery is disconnected to stop the car from losing it's memory (like radio presets and alarm codes). It has something like 4 AA batteries in it.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Smile Radio Code

I tried looking for the device in a couple of auto parts stores and online and couldn't find one. But Autozone is where I plan to get a new battery. Thank You all for the advice.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Smile Radio Code

It says in my owner manual that ALL radios have to be recoded. Also certain "functions" of the car will have to reset. But the manual does not tell U what functions are to be reset.

When I had my Mercedes it had a page on resetting the TC auto down windows, sunroof etc. In the Jaguar manual it tells you none of this. I think it is a ploy to get you to go to the dealer.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ididn't say tis, but.....press A.MEM, >> and PTY together to get the code.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by theseeker
many places that sell batteries (such as autozone) have a little device they plug into the cigarette lighter which will maintain enough power in your system while the battery is disconnected to stop the car from losing it's memory (like radio presets and alarm codes). It has something like 4 aa batteries in it.
this wont work since the lighter is off when the key is off(unless you moved the fuse over to power all the time for the lighter) if you leave the key on and disconnect a battery youll send power spikes through the system and risk damage to modules. You dont need radio code.
On dealer friendly service, adam did you call the advisor you normally work with of just called and talked to anyone. I wouldnt give out that info either, key codes etc unless i knew the customer, it leaves a dealer liable. If you talk to the and deal with the same advisor everytime he/she would give you that info. We do. But what if someone was out there stealing radios and just calling the dealer to get the radio codes. Kind of defeats the purpose of anti theft doesnt it........

Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
this wont work since the lighter is off when the key is off(unless you moved the fuse over to power all the time for the lighter) if you leave the key on and disconnect a battery youll send power spikes through the system and risk damage to modules. You dont need radio code.
On dealer friendly service, adam did you call the advisor you normally work with of just called and talked to anyone. I wouldnt give out that info either, key codes etc unless i knew the customer, it leaves a dealer liable. If you talk to the and deal with the same advisor everytime he/she would give you that info. We do. But what if someone was out there stealing radios and just calling the dealer to get the radio codes. Kind of defeats the purpose of anti theft doesnt it........
Some dealers will allow you to fax in the information they are looking to see. They usually keep it on file if any questions come up on the vehicle or radio they supplied the codes for.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2005 manual is pretty clear that when the battery is disconnected for any period, the following will have to be reset: clock time; power window anti-trap function. Both of these are listed in the index. It also says that if the battery is left disconnected for a much longer period (days), the radio station presets will be lost. In my experience, the radio station presets have not been lost but do take a few minutes to reappear.
And it describes a particular sequence that will display one time on the message center/odometer while the system restarts.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
Neat...and I didn't see you write it either.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat

I tried this and did not get a code. Does that mean I don't need one? Is there a difference between the X and S types?

The following users liked this post:
johnboy (05-06-2012)
Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I've disconnected my battery tons of time an have never needed a code!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tomcat's routine (above) is for use when you do get asked for a code after power loss and works providing the original radio is still fitted - worth keeping anote of it just in case.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default battery disconnect

I have used the little gadget to keep ALL the settings, windows, radio, nav, etc. I got it al Walmart--$4.50 or so. You leave the ignition switch in the acc position. It works, and there are NO problems. My deakler uses them also. The gadget takes one 9 volt battery, and comes with it. It is in the auto section. good luck

Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replace my battery and disconnected it several times, but only for a couple of minuted. Recently my car was in the shop and the battery disconnected for more than 30 minutes. Now the "CODE" has appeared on the radio and I am trying various combination of buttons to reset or reveal the correct code. My last resort will be to contact a Jag dealer and get the correct code.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my car 3 days ago but luckily the radio code was in with driver's handbook but I too haven't needed to use it had my battery out for a day cleaning and checking wires, radio works fine

Quick Reply: Radio Code