X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio on the fritz

Old 08-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio on the fritz

Recently bought an '02 X-type. It's been really great so far! Previous owners didn't take such great care of it, but I look forward to improving it. Everything about the car so far has been as it should be. Still getting used to the quirks of the car, like turning the recirculate off each time I start it up.
At any rate, my radio has been muting and unmuting itself for the past couple days. Sometimes it will let me unmute it by pressing the button on the steering wheel, or the phone button beside the display. It won't do it if I hold down either of the buttons. It will either stay muted or unmuted. Being that it's a 5-speed, it's just not feasible to do either. Even if it were automatic, it would really be worth it.
So far I've changed one incorrect fuse, and simply removed and replaced the other fuse that ties in to the head unit. Then the radio stopped the muting, but I couldn't change stations, or the source of music. I could only turn the volume up or down. It's got to be either the steering wheel buttons malfunctioning or possibly the head unit. Another theory is that with the area I live in being so humid, maybe the a/c vents have condensated and some water has dropped on the wires... Any ideas??