X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio reception

Hey all, I seem to have an issue with my radio reception. I've searched the forum and am unable to find any similar problem.

The radio reception was fine , there was never an issue receiving clear sound , until I replaced the car battery.

If this problem was addressed before, please direct me to the thread, if not ,please can someone help .

thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the problem after replacing the battery?
All you said is the reception was fine before.

My reception is rotten, I get about half a far away from town as I do in my other cars before a station gets staticy. I would love a solution to improve my reception range. I have taken the antenae amplifier out behind the C pillar, but I dont see anything wrong with it.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I remembered this post (below, in quotes) from another board, never tried it but you might want to give it a shot if you are in the US ( it does help to know where you are for troubleshooting)

"The X-Type has a built-in FM gain boost function that is disabled by the software in the US market. Apparently, FM transmission is far too dependent on actual lines of sight between transmission towers, which makes reception really difficult in Europe, and seemingly less difficult here in the States. For those of us living in geographic areas with bad FM reception, we need to play games with the car to overcome this.

Using the AM/FM/Cassette-Eject Setup Menu, change your market region from US to UK. This will erase all your stored radio presets and can't be helped. It also replaces the AM menu with MW and LW, which are the medium and low-wave frequency bands individually accessible overseas and are the equivalent of the US AM.

You'll need to go back through and program all your presets again, but you should notice a signficantly improved reception level. The strength and resulting volume level for FM is now equivalent to that of your CD which makes browsing back and forth much easier without having to constantly adjust the volume settings. Program Types (PTY) are still decoded for the US stations, but interestingly enough the category names for PTY are slightly altered."

The program he's talking about is accessed by pressing the cassette eject button and the am/fm button at the same time. Choose preset #0 and select UK."

Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Huh no ****.. I'm going to have to check that out. I'm very interested. But also take note, if your rear defroster is on that makes reception terrible on some channels.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think there are some ground loop issues with the car. I can hear the engine and when the brakes are touched by clicks when I have the AM radio on.

But I listen to Sirius 99% of the time via FM Direct Connect, so I never really bothered to try that scenario above. I can't remember if the X has a local station button or feature that would explain why the OP's reception got worse after his battery swap. I'll check my audio handbook tonight if I get time.

Dragon - what radio trim level do you have - standard or premium?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tried this on my car, with Navigation. A few menu choices appear on the nav screen as soon as I push both buttons. I had a choice of EU, US, JP or AU. There are a few other options like the tape clean warning beeper and more.
I set mine to EU, and the presets were erased, no biggie. FM seems OK I wont know if it is improved until I go on a trip out of town.

AM converted also, but wont tune to the even numbers any more. I cant get the all news station for traffic info.. but minor issue.

Soon, I will drive to a place where the FM used to get staticy and try all the setting and report back.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Great jimmy, interested to hear if this does indeed improve FM performance. I might try it for sh*ts and giggles myself this weekend if I get some other tasks done.