X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Reception poor

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

THANK GOD my AM Radio reception is lousy!

I HATE the AM Radio.

I'd rather put lit cigarettes into my ears than listen to that drivel. PLUS - in this neck 'o the woods, it's mostly "both" kinds of music, Country AND Western!

I'll stick with my Classical on CD's.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Are your windows tinted?

The antenna is at the top of the rear glass in the X-type, if there is metallic tint on this glass there will be a huge reduction in signal. the lower pattern is the defog grid.

If there is no tint, it could be the etched pattern on the rear glass is damaged - thus the new rear window comment. Or it could be the amplifier module that connects between the rear glass and the coax cable to the radio, or a poor connection of the cables.

There also may be a fuse for this antenna module, check into that first.

Then see if you can find a small wire attached to the top pattern on the glass. If it is attached, then I'd suggest pulling the radio and checking the coax connection to the back of that. If it is OK, then use an Ohm meter to measure resistance between that coax shield (NOT the center pin) and the negative battery cable. It should be very low, less than an Ohm by far. If it is low your connection to the antenna module should be good.

The following users liked this post:
jimborino (05-31-2014)
Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio reception

Having put entry on site re bad radio reception I found the short antenna on my 04 estate seemed to bend to easily. Bought a new one from Halfords and now all is well
Trevor

Old 11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSeeker
My '04 gets pretty good reception on FM but AM is really poor. I lose ALL reception any time I turn on the rear window defroster though....it's more like interference.
If you are losing FM when the defroster is on, I bet you have a damaged heating line in the defrost grid.

Do you have one that does not seem to be heating as much as the others? IE it stays frosted longer on cold mornings? If so there are repair kits that give you a conductive paint to repair the breaks in the grid, that should fix the FM reception with the defog on.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure this will help but give it a try. press am/fm button and eject button at the same time. the screen will now say setup mode. next press the zero button and it will cylce thru different markets. make sure its set to US. i've seen that cause the radio to seek right pass a know good radio station. hope this helped.

The following users liked this post:
Pushing_Tin (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be some additional questions here.

Are there not 3 different radios? (Base, Premium/Alpine, and touch screen)
My only experience is with the Alpine in my X and the touch screen in my S and both work very well.

The roof mounted antenna on the wagon will always be a potential issue. If you send your car through a car wash, it needs to be unscrewed and removed to prevent possible damage. But don't leave it off because the base connection can corrode if left exposed to weather (that happened to the similar antenna on my parents' Audi when they left the antenna off the roof).

Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FM reception statis tall building and overpass. 2000 s premium radio. Can plug an external antenna into module with rear windoww defroster.?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Default FM reception 2000 S premimun radio

FM reception 2000 Stype premium radio. Static near tall buildings and overpasses. I have the S412 TSB. I believe the antenna, inside back window, is plugged into a module, upper left side trunk. The rear window defrosted is the other plug in this module. To test the existing antenna,, can I simply unplug the antenna from that module and plug in an external antenna? This will tell me if there is a break in the window antenna and eliminate one variable. Also,,, I will never have a Ipod, nav. or in car phone,, so that info is greek to me and not needed.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

06 style vdp - bought used and with Sirius installed and on by default. I have to turn Sirius off to listen to the radio or to scan for stations.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

My radio is doing the same thing. It gets very good reception until I turn on the rear defroster. Not sure where the reception module is or if it can be fixed. Anybody know how to fix this problem?
Originally Posted by TheSeeker
My '04 gets pretty good reception on FM but AM is really poor. I lose ALL reception any time I turn on the rear window defroster though....it's more like interference.

Last edited by Jac; 12-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

My reception on both AM and FM was poor at best. I now have the infamous ACM and listen only to my music. I was lucky and found a second hand kit which works wonderfully.
Well worth the investment.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did anyone ever solve this? I assume the module in the rear driverside panel connects somehow to the rear window. I had tint film put on all windows and got poor reception thereafter. maybe the left a wire off or the film inhibits the module's reception. Any ideas out there?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Signal booster

In the estate you can find a signal booster in the antennas base.

You have to remove some seals, plastic cover of the rear pillars and then you can pull the head liner down a little.

Replacing the signal booster has done the trick to some X-Types. Don´t have the parts number though..

Attached Thumbnails  Radio Reception poor-antenninjalka.jpg    Radio Reception poor-verhoilu.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Default 2005 Estate Antenna

My FM/AM was never great in the 2005 estate wagon but about a month or 2 ago it got much worse and I usually only get one station to come in, everything else just static. I checked all the connections at the antenna (roof mount) and at the radio(w/ navigation) but all appears tight. I went to locate the AM/FM amplifier module which according to the workshop manual should be near the right c pillar but after removing the c-pillar trim and levering down the headliner I do not see anything that resembles the amp depicted in the workshop manual. The picture of the amp in the message above looks like it might be attached to the antenna base. Since this is usually my wife's daily diver, I need to get it fixed pretty quickly now. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks David N

Last edited by dnorth1; 05-25-2015 at 04:48 PM. Reason: clarification and spelling
Old 05-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For future reference:
I'm sure I've got a short to ground on the antenna (blowing fuse F43).
Bought a new antenna base on Ebay (UK) for £26.99.
Genuine Jaguar Part no: C2S34571

Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Yep, replaced the antenna base C2S34571 and all is good! I opened the old antenna base and there was lots of corrosion, some how moisture got in and caused some havoc.
David N