X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling tin sound when accelerating???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling tin sound when accelerating???

Hi,
Wondering if anyone knows what this may be?

2004 X-type 2.5 manual with 93000kms

With the exception of 1st gear, anytime I accelerate I hear this tin rattling sound coming from the engine. There is no performance issues, just this horrible sound.

If I am super easy on the gas I can prevent it...but I don't want to drive like my grandma.

I have tried a few tanks of different gas (reg, mid & premium) as well as some fuel additives "to prevent engine knocking". Nothing helps.

Any ideas?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the oil last changed? (using 5w30)

Sounds like engine knock,pinging,pinking

Also does it throw up any fault codes when a scanner is connected?

Derek

Last edited by eric_funk; 06-05-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Duplicate reply
Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 AM

When was the oil last changed? (using 5w30)

Sounds like engine knock,pinging,pinking

Also does it throw up any fault codes when a scanner is connected?

Also try pulling fuse 32 under the bonnet to get the engine to relearn the timing

Derek

Old 06-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Hi,
Last oil change was a month ago. I had standard oil before and upgraded to synthetic to see if it would change things.

Sound has been constant before and after. I am really noticing it more now that the weather is nicer and I can have the window's down.

But I don't want to be called a "tin can jag". because that is how it sounds! lol

Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 AM

on the scanner question. There are no internal warnings, and I thought i'd jump on here before heading to the garage where they have a scanner.

I am not great with cars and like to be informed as much as possible to avoid a big bill ;-)

Old 06-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Did you try pulling fuse 32 (5amp tan colour) this will force the ecu to re learn the timing?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM

No, i never heard of this.
So, should the fuse be pulled with the car running then? Sorry for the stupid question...just not sure if I pull the fuse with the car off if it will register?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

heres a long shot, on other cars i've worked on, the heat shield on the catalytic converter or muffler can work loose and cause that exact symptom, crawl under and check those shields ( i still dont own an x type so don't know if they have heat shields)

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Wallman (11-21-2021)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
heres a long shot, on other cars i've worked on, the heat shield on the catalytic converter or muffler can work loose and cause that exact symptom, crawl under and check those shields ( i still dont own an x type so don't know if they have heat shields)
In my Acura TL it was the heat shield once and the exhaust A - pipe another. Both caused rattling type sounds at specific RPMs. The A pipe used to be at around 3K RPM.....The heat shield was lower rpm.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Excellent advice...I will take a look. I googled xtype heat shield and I believe it does have one. Be nice if it was a simple problem like that.

I wouldn't mind trying the fuse idea as well...couldn't hurt. But just need to know when it should be pulled. Car started or not?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Hi

Ignition key out (car not started) then pull the fuse, re-insert fuse, start car and drive for a bit so that the ecu can re-learn the timing.

Lots os success with this on the UK forum.

Cheers

Derek

BudL1te (02-12-2021)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be a bad knock sensor - not retarding the timing when detonation starts. What grade fuel are you running? If you've got regular in it, try some octane booster in the tank. If that lessens the racket, you need to switch to premium, as recommended by Jaguar. These engines run a 10.5:1 compression ratio and should be run on premium.
Also, get your car scanned to see if any codes are being thrown out. Some problems won't necessarily light up the mil.

Of course.....it might just be that loose cat shield.....

Jeff Wallman (11-21-2021)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Default code scanner

most local auto parts stores will scan your computer for free.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouverguy
Excellent advice...I will take a look. I googled xtype heat shield and I believe it does have one. Be nice if it was a simple problem like that.

I wouldn't mind trying the fuse idea as well...couldn't hurt. But just need to know when it should be pulled. Car started or not?
Hey VG

Let me know if you want the car scanned, I'll bring the scanner to work and meet you. My office is 8th and Hemlock!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 PM

I removed the fuse and while it did not solve my noise problem it greatly reduced the loudness of it. i just bought my Jag last week so i'll eventually take it to the dealership and have them look at it.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouverguy
Hi,
Wondering if anyone knows what this may be?

2004 X-type 2.5 manual with 93000kms

With the exception of 1st gear, anytime I accelerate I hear this tin rattling sound coming from the engine. There is no performance issues, just this horrible sound.

If I am super easy on the gas I can prevent it...but I don't want to drive like my grandma.

I have tried a few tanks of different gas (reg, mid & premium) as well as some fuel additives "to prevent engine knocking". Nothing helps.

Any ideas?
Are you sure it's coming from inside the engine? Or more like from the engine bay area of the car or more in the front end of the car? If the sound is as obnoxious as you say and it was something internal to the engine I would have to think there would be some warning light on and performance would be affected. Is the "rattling" sound more like a sound you would hear if two pieces of metal would vibrate against each other? If so, chances are it's something that worked it's way loose and only makes noise when you reach a certain speed to reach it's vibration point. If that sounds more like it maybe it's not anything serious and you just need to root around and find what's loose.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Hi,
Sorry it took me a while to update & thanks for all of the replies. I still have the same problem and have tried everything mentioned on here.
- there were no alerts from the computer scan
- pulled the fuse (twice). one before a road trip and other time before city driving.

When I took it to the mechanic...we went around the block and of course the car didn't really make too much of a rattle! lol...figures. He made a comment that it could be the dreaded "jaguar rattle". I joke...i did not find funny.

Seems to be worse the warmer the car is. Still looking for a solution.
It is almost embarrassing to drive as the sound is quite loud. I minimize it by being very, very gentle on the accelerator.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

H

Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 AM

Check the power steering pump pulley.. Took my car to the dealership and had them do a complete breakdown of y car. Turns out that the pulley on the power steering pump was going out and needed to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like my Acura TL. Rattled when warm at 3100 rpm. It was the exhaust A pipe. Needed to be replaced. It was a vibration there

Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My car has the same rattle when the engine is started. The guy i bough it from said its a heat shield that covers the upper part of the tranny. Not a big issue but he said theres no way to fix it because you'd have to drop the block to get to it. Not sure if i belive that but it hasent bugged me enought to take a look.... good luck.

Quick Reply: Rattling tin sound when accelerating???