X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re programming Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old transmitter went out, I did the same thing. Remotez4less all the way!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM

I heard that I need to have 2 working keys before i program a 3rd one. is this correct?

also i am a bit wary of locking my self out of the car. i have one working key and have bought a spare one from ebay that needs programming.

am i right in thinking that i will in effect have to program both keys, even though one is working?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by markbristol
I heard that I need to have 2 working keys before i program a 3rd one. is this correct?

also i am a bit wary of locking my self out of the car. i have one working key and have bought a spare one from ebay that needs programming.

am i right in thinking that i will in effect have to program both keys, even though one is working?
The key/fob has to be programmed twice, once to open the car and once to start it.
The fob (part with buttons on) can be easily programmed by the owner. The key (the part with the key on) can be programmed by the owner but only if you already have 2 keys that will start the car.
As you only have one working key you will be able to program the new one to remotely open the doors but you will not be able to program it to start the car.
Jaguar dealer or auto locksmith only I'm afraid.

Although to answer your question you will have to program both keys to open the car even though one already works.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:49 AM

Thanks Faltwen.

Thats what I thought. I dont think I will bother cos a replacement key from ebay costs about 20 quid and god knows what the local Jaguar dealer will charge. I might try yell.com.

The cheapest option i guess is to look after the key i have lol

Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM

im having similar problem with fob, i tried re programming them, i hear the chime but nothing happens when i press a button on either of them, any ideas please

Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 AM

I enquired about having a spare key married up to the car from a local auto electrician and they wanted £225 pounds. LOL. so i told them to shove it and i will look after the only key i have lol

Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent. Changed my batteries in two fobs, when taking the key out after the programing sequence be sure and mash a button on all of the fobs you plan to use...

Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM

I did that method, car dinged and I mashed the buttons, and nothing... So I would say the key fob circuit is bad???

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Just a very brief note - just to say Thankyou.. 2 out of 4 buttons had failed on my remote. Managed to get three working with some stick backed paper (blue peter special) but didnt trust it to last - just bought a new (used though) remote and programmed it in seconds, along with my old one again as an emergency spare.. your programming faq worked a treat - thankyou

Old 08-01-2016, 02:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by faltwen
The key/fob has to be programmed twice, once to open the car and once to start it.
The fob (part with buttons on) can be easily programmed by the owner. The key (the part with the key on) can be programmed by the owner but only if you already have 2 keys that will start the car.
As you only have one working key you will be able to program the new one to remotely open the doors but you will not be able to program it to start the car.
Jaguar dealer or auto locksmith only I'm afraid.

Although to answer your question you will have to program both keys to open the car even though one already works.
How is this done, meaning the KEY only part and not the FOB remote? I have two working keys that will start the car...so how do I program a 3rd key if I want?

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 PM

To program key to start car:-
Insert the first already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II
Turn back to 0 and remove the key
Insert the second already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II
Key programming mode is now activated and you have ten seconds to:
Insert the unprogrammed new key into the ignition and turn to position II
Allow 10 seconds to pass for the system to exit programming mode.

To program fob to remote lock/unlock:-
Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.
Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this.
During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons on each fob. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.
Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

Last edited by faltwen; 08-01-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

faltwen - wow, I had no idea. I know how to do the FOB but had no idea one could program a key. So I suppose my next question is where do you obtain a blank key? I thought they had to be cut or something. Can I just buy any old Jag key off ebay and the programming will work?

Thanks for replying, and so quickly might I add ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Here's a blank key:
https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption...ype=automotive

The Unlock button on one of my fobs has failed (microswitch under the button came apart), so I've been looking for a fix. The above fob/key is very inexpensive, but good luck finding a locksmith who can cut the key. I've checked with four locksmiths without success. I then called the parts counter at the local Jaguar dealer and explained my problem. His solution: Buy a new fob/key from them for $190, then separate the key portion from the remote and put my existing key on the new remote. Oh, then it's $150 to have a technician program the new remote. Not going that route. For that fix I should be able to do that myself. For $30 I may buy the above piece from Amazon and give 'er a go.

Last edited by swingwing; 08-01-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 AM

Doesn't help much but there are thousands of key cutting firms in the UK that will cut a blade. It's only a Ford TIBBE blade after all.
There are even people on Ebay uk that will cut a blade from your code (if you have it) or you can read it yourself.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

When do we need to perform re-program the key fob?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:51 AM

Hi guys,
I followed the instructions and got the confirmation beep from the dash after programming but there seems to be a problem. When i press unlock, i can hear the actuator engage to unlock the door bit when i press lock i dont hear anything and the exterior lights flash 5 times. At the moment the trunk latch is not on the car bc of a bad actuator. Would that cause some kind of error with the locking system to not engage the actuator for the door locks? It wants to unlock just doesnt do anything or make any noise when attempting to lock other than the lights flashing.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:15 AM
Default Mr LANCE J KAY

Hi,i have done the reprogramming sequence as advised and my fob does still not work,have you got any idea what else could be wrong with it,thanks

Old 11-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Kay
Hi,i have done the reprogramming sequence as advised and my fob does still not work,have you got any idea what else could be wrong with it,thanks
Did you put a fresh battery in it?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Default two of my key robs ran away together

One for the 2005 X-type and one for the 2014 XF. The dealer wants $400 for a new X-type fob, and $650 for the XF. Having instructions on programming means that I might buy the replacement from fobkeyless.com. Any similar solutions for the XF?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

1 Insert key into ignition
2 Turn key to 'I"
3 Turn key "II" and back to 'I' quickly 4 times
4 Alarm system will chime once when key is back to 'I' for the
fourth time
5 Remove key from ignition
6 Press any button on each key fob and alarm system will chime
for each fob if it has been programmed correctly
7 Press unlock/lock/trunk etc to make sure everything works

Payspecial attention to point 6, every fob you have must be programmed at the same time although you only need to use one key in ignition.
Just used this to reprogram my new X-type fob. I wish there was an XF solution.

Quick Reply: Re programming Key Fobs