X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reaflshing help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reaflshing help

Hello everyone I have a 2002 X-type 3.0 , I've had to replace the transmission on it has been replaced , the problem I'm having is finding a place where I can reflash the TCM I called few transmission shops and none of the have the means to do it on my car I even called the dealer close to my town and they say they dont work in such an old car. Can anybody guide in to what to do?

Old 05-22-2023, 04:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Jose, I am going to ask 2 questions and I think it will answer your question. 1) Did you install a 32 bit or a 64 bit tranny into your car? 2) Why do you think you need to reflash the tranny? I only ask these as you should not need to reflash anything if you installed a like for like tranny. If you got a 64 bit tranny and are thinking you can upgrade the computer, you can't.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:01 PM

Thank you so much for replying thermo, I'm going to be honest with you I really don't know which one is it , is there any way to find out? Which one is it? I thought you've had to reflash the TCM if you replace the transmission.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Jose, I just looked in the service manual and it does have a big caution stating that you either need to reflash the TCM or install a new TCM. So, this is sounding like to me that you need to clear the memory from the TCM so it starts out with no learned things. Maybe other members can chime in on this as I know a few have replaced transmissions.in their cars.

Now, an option that you may want to consider is if you have a laptop, you can buy a Mongoose Pro cable (has to be specific to a Jaguar car) and the SDD software (I would recommend sticking with version like 1.31 or something in that range as it can be installed without having to be connected to the internet and this allows you to do whatever you want, however you want. You could get both for probably around $100. Then it is a matter of connecting your laptop to the car via the Mongoose cable and getting into the SDD software and it will reflash for you. Probably a more cost effective way to do things than to spend hours calling and trying to see if you can find someone that can do it. The only thing that may be a bit hard to do in your case is getting a power source to keep the battery charged as you do the reflash. BUt ,a battery charger should do the trick on your car. I know on the newer cars, you have to have something capable of supplying up to 30 amps of 12V power and keeping the car above 12.6 VDC. I adapted something using a high current power supply for my car, but for the older cars, the requirements are less.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jose, I just looked in the service manual and it does have a big caution stating that you either need to reflash the TCM or install a new TCM. So, this is sounding like to me that you need to clear the memory from the TCM so it starts out with no learned things. Maybe other members can chime in on this as I know a few have replaced transmissions.in their cars.

Now, an option that you may want to consider is if you have a laptop, you can buy a Mongoose Pro cable (has to be specific to a Jaguar car) and the SDD software (I would recommend sticking with version like 1.31 or something in that range as it can be installed without having to be connected to the internet and this allows you to do whatever you want, however you want. You could get both for probably around $100. Then it is a matter of connecting your laptop to the car via the Mongoose cable and getting into the SDD software and it will reflash for you. Probably a more cost effective way to do things than to spend hours calling and trying to see if you can find someone that can do it. The only thing that may be a bit hard to do in your case is getting a power source to keep the battery charged as you do the reflash. BUt ,a battery charger should do the trick on your car. I know on the newer cars, you have to have something capable of supplying up to 30 amps of 12V power and keeping the car above 12.6 VDC. I adapted something using a high current power supply for my car, but for the older cars, the requirements are less.
Thanks again Thermo, I thought about trying to do the reflashing my self if I wasn't able to find a place to do it, but luckily I found a place where they'll do it for me. I don't think I know enough of computers to do it my self. Anyways