X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really weird and urgent issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Really weird and urgent idle issue!

Hi all, I'm writing,this on my phone, so please forgive "fat finger" typos! I just had an odd issue with my 2.0 2005 x type. I stopped the car after driving around 12 miles and ran in for a takeaway. The car was stopped for max. 10 minutes. When I came out and tried to start it again it sounded like it was running on one cylinder or if an air hose had come off or burst. Rough isn't the word, the gear stick was shaking,and shuddering, I put it in gear and tried to move it but had no power whatsoever. I stopped the engine, checked under the hood and saw nothing loose. I tried starting again and same story, really really rough idle, clattering and spluttering. I called my mechanic and tried to explain it to him, he asked me to start it again so he could hear it and when I turned the key it started as normal, no problems, smooth as it normally would be. I drove to my girlfriends house with no issues. I'm going back to my place in an hour and am dreading the thought of the same happening or of doing some damage if it happens,while driving. Any input or expert advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by barryo2002; 03-25-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Sounds like a fuel issue, not enough diesel getting to the injectors...

Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Could be wa3ra, I thought that myself, but what I don't understand is why it would happen so suddenly and then clear itself as suddenly without any intervention or codes? It was very very wet on the initial journey which made me suspect a possible damp connector, but which one might it be? I just returned home, around 15 miles with no issues, stopped the car and restarted outside my house and started on the button with no vibration or noise.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 AM

Anyone?

Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have no constructive input, although I'm curious if you have a code reader that does live diagnostic? It could definitely be a fuel issue as I've read it's not abnormal to have clogged injectors, bad fuel pump or fuel filter if it has high mileage. Someone else will need to chime in, but if your live diagnostic shows the fuel pressure at 50+psi your fuel pump is working and you may just need to replace the fuel filter. I agree it's odd to not have a code. Did the MIL light flash when it was acting up?

The following users liked this post:
barryo2002 (03-27-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

You flooded it . Then blasting with foot down & natural fuel evaporation cleared it & it fired up . I had very similar happen to me & 1st X type a couple of yrs . ago.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blockage in the fuel pipe that managed to clear itself?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ugotmale
I have no constructive input, although I'm curious if you have a code reader that does live diagnostic? It could definitely be a fuel issue as I've read it's not abnormal to have clogged injectors, bad fuel pump or fuel filter if it has high mileage. Someone else will need to chime in, but if your live diagnostic shows the fuel pressure at 50+psi your fuel pump is working and you may just need to replace the fuel filter. I agree it's odd to not have a code. Did the MIL light flash when it was acting up?

Hi there, ugotmale. I don't have any diagnostic that appears to give much information from the Jaguar, and I have a few different ones. I'm pretty sure that injectors and filter can be rules out as I had them done professionally a few hundred miles back and no issues there. The fuel pump might be the culprit but again, it was only the once that it did it and it seems to be fine since. I might add that I just had the clutch, clutch plate, flywheel and release bearing done last week but I cant seem to imagine how that might be connected to the issue. As I mentioned earlier, it was raining really really heavily, there was a lot of water splashing on the underside of the car and given that the flywheel had been done, I thought initially that maybe a plug hadn't been seated back fully and had gotten damp. Regarding the MIL light, to be honest, I was in such shock at the reaction of the car that I didn't stop and look at the dash lights. As far as I know there was no flashing coil or management check light. I'm sure there must be a code stored in there somewhere but my equipment cant read it!

Originally Posted by Five Speed
You flooded it . Then blasting with foot down & natural fuel evaporation cleared it & it fired up . I had very similar happen to me & 1st X type a couple of yrs . ago.

Thanks for the input, but I don't think that's what happened in my case. First of all its a Diesel and as far as I know, and I could be wrong, its almost impossible to flood a diesel given the nature of the fuel delivery system, secondly I am a very conservative driver, sure I push it to 100 MPH or more on the motorway every so often but I never rev before shutting down, never touch the gas before starting and never ever over rev, and am especially careful when the engine is cold. I treat all cars like the refined machines that they are, use but never abuse!!

Originally Posted by FollowMe
Blockage in the fuel pipe that managed to clear itself?

That could be possible and I hope its something as simple as that! The car cost me 4000€ last year and I've spent over 1000€ more between injectors, clutch flywheel kit, brakes, a blown coil plug, (it literally blew out of the engine and I thought that the engine had blown, the noise it was making!)

Come to think of it, if anyone of you have heard a diesel car running on three cylinders, with a loss of compression from the glow plug hole, that's almost exactly what it sounded like to me the other day!! Like an engine that's running with no manifold, and not firing on one cylinder. noisy, rattling to the point of shaking the gear lever an inch to the left and right while in neutral, I tried moving the car but it was trying to cut out, no power whatsoever. I started it twice like this and the third time I started it, all in the space of a few minutes, she started as normal and has been since.

Its a mystery all right.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Shot in the dark, but is there a chance there was just water in the fuel? Could it hurt to put some additive in a tank of diesel?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why i stick to petrol .. So many more problems with diesels. Not like they used to be!

Old 03-29-2015, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Yea I don't do diesels either . Jag never quite got the X type D right .

The following users liked this post:
barryo2002 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Five Speed
Yea I don't do diesels either . Jag never quite got the X type D right .
You wouldn't mind, but the jaguar diesel was supposed to be a tried and tested Mondeo unit. I mean it is, so can't understand why it gives so much trouble. I must say, when its running well its an awesome engine, but when it decides to get its knickers in a twist, boy, do they get well and truly wrapped around the proverbial junk!

Last edited by barryo2002; 03-30-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

After reading the posts, I'll wager that you got some moisture in one of the injector power connectors.

You fired up the car, the computer thought there was an injector issue and shut that signal down.

When you restarted, it had already cleared.