Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear brake ofside caliper issue need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question rear brake ofside caliper issue need help

hi everyone

for the last few weeks the brake has been making noise, i figured out that the caliper piston is getting stuck. I am planning to open it and fix it
can anyone tell me how to remove piston from the caliper
and if i clean it and grease it put it back should that fix the problem?
its confirmed as the piston problem in the rear brake ofside issue

can anyone help me and tell it this is repairable or has to be replaced? , any special tools needed to fix this.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Zibby, not to detract you from your initial assessment, but are you sure it is the normal caliper that is the issue or do you have an e-brake lever that is hanging up. I have had 3 calipers fail on me, all of them being due to the e-brake level binding up and not letting the e-brake release (the e-brake pushes the normal braking piston against the pad to provide the e-brake feature). You can confirm this by removing the tire on the side in question and using your finger or a screw driver, you will be able to push the lever away from the mount that the cable is in. If you can move it, then it is the e-brake mechanism hanging up. Also, if you look on the backside of the caliper, just under the pivot point of the e-brake lever, you will see an allen head screw there that is a stop for the e-brake lever. If the e-brake lever is not against this with the e-brake released, this is another sign that your e-brake system is binding up. I have also noticed that when the e-brake is acting up, the e-brake handle is really easy to lift the first half of the way, then it will get a little harder. That is how I normally know I have an e-brake issue, other than the hot brake smell.

As for repairing the caliper, I know there are kits out there. As for how to disassemble the caliper, can't help you there. I would figure that the kit will give you some more detailed information.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

hi thermo thanks for reply
yes there can be a problem with the ebrake, i will release cable and check tommorow, if there is a problem is it repairable or do i need to buy new one? thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

zibby, some guys have had luck pulling the lever off and greasing it. Me, never had the fortune. Maybe I just have an older style caliper. All I can tell you is that if you are looking for a cheap fix, give it a try and see what happens.