Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear lower front control arms installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Rear lower front control arms installation

Going to order/replace both sides, is the car weight pressure on these necessitating support of wheel or suspension before removing, or can I just unbolt and rebolt new ones in?

Attached Thumbnails Rear lower front control arms installation-screenshot_2017-03-17-19-17-07.jpg  
Old 03-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I jacked up one side at a time, removed wheel to allow access and get enough leverage to break the bolts free. I had to heat the nuts to release the loc-tite or they would have never come out. The large sleeve on one side had become completely free and spun within the arm, the loc-tite prevented the bolt from coming out and I had to cut it off.

The following users liked this post:
Dell Gailey (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Dell, no need to do a complete disassembly of the rear suspension. Undo the two bolts and the arm will come out. May take a little bit of effort to get the spindle back to the correct spot, but a little push with your hands should be all that is needed.

Like was mentioned, the bolts may not play at first. Make sure to use a good penetrating fluid and have a good breaker bar handy.

The following users liked this post:
Dell Gailey (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thx, seen a video of the jacking it up procedure, but I'm running it over to Hill Air Force Base "Car hobby" facility to use a hoist. Didn't know if constant vehicle weight would change the removal. They let you use facility, hoist, any tools including impact for $6.50 US/hour. Well worth joining the club there. Lubed the living daylights out of it, while finding the body motion sqeaking with Fluid Film, so it should be well "penetrated" by the time I get ready to replace them. Shop manager said he had never heard one squeak that loud before (moving the body up & down with the sway bar).The rubber bushing are crumbling apart, they're so dry.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Btw, as a preventative in the future, try lubing the rubber bushing everywhere with AT 205, which is an engine, transmission and power steering sealer that is freaking marvelous for re-energizing old seals. Doesn't just lube like WD-40 and the like, but actual helps reconstitute rubber, since there is no such thing as grease zirks anymore.....yup, I'm that old. Lol.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Dell, use the base facilities to your advantage. I did a lot of projects inside the hobby shops on base. Use the facilities in Orlando Florida and Bangor Washington. The one up in Bangor thought I was nuts because I was ripping apart a brand new truck to install a suspension lift. Oh the days of being young and dumb.