X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear parking sensors retrofit on manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear parking sensors retrofit on manual trans?

Hello everyone thanks for your attention, I have a silly question , I'm amateur at this but I have everything needed for this retrofit, rear plastic molding with parking sensors, wiring loom , control module, and the sounder . Now my car is manual, is there something else I need for this procedure to go well?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Eden, as long as the wiring harness taps into the reverse light circuit, then you should be golden. It is pretty straight forward and most likely about the only thing you may need is a few tie downs for the wiring harness.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Eden, as long as the wiring harness taps into the reverse light circuit, then you should be golden. It is pretty straight forward and most likely about the only thing you may need is a few tie downs for the wiring harness.
Hmmm interesting, everything is plugged in n ready the only oobservation I made is that the sounder beeps a long time when I turn on the ignition, now besides connecting the rear parking sensors wiring loom do I have to connect something else ?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Eden, if you are getting a long pulse, that is saying that there is a problem and the backup sensors are not going to do their job. NOw, with this being said, if you are parked close to something, it will sense the item and let you be aware of it. BUt, this should be a quick pulsing sound unless you are parked within about 2 feet of something.

A quick check that you may want to try doing is putting the car in the RUN position (engine not running), set the e-brake, and then put the car in Reverse. Now, get out and put your ear next to each sensor. You should hear a high pitch chirp/squeal. If you hear this on 3 our of 4 sensors, then the silent sensor is bad and that is giving you the long tone.

Atleast in my car, simply starting the car should not cause the sounder to sound (granted, I do have an automatic). This could be a true case if you have the gear shift in REVERSE (clutch depressed). But, I would try putting the car in true NEUTRAL or shifting it into one of the forward gears and then seeing if the sounder sounds when you start the car.

If you are still having issues, let me know and we can talk about the wiring harness and what should have power and what shouldn't.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I have a manual transmission and the rear sensors never sound on start up. Must be something up with one of the sensors.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

If the system has been retrofitted (as on my wife's manual X-Type) then the sensor will sound briefly when the car is put into reverse. And the sensors will sound if they have water on them or frost or ice. In very cold weather the sensors do sound constantly when in reverse - but it is purely a function of one or more of the sensors having something on them. When the temperature rises, all is normal again.