Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent car owner needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent car owner needs some help

Hello community!

I am quite new member to this forum. I try to be as polite as possible and I know, that some of my problems can be Google'd. But still, maybe someone can help me a bit more

1. Radio static. When I bought the car (a week ago) I didn't notice this problem, since town where I bought it had a superior radio frequency quality. But where I live, signal aint that good. So, at random moments, radio just goes full static, which is kind of odd. After 10-20 minutes of driving, radio just goes back normal with some poor reception. My previous Ford Focus has superior reception quality from radio at this location. Even my father's Mondy have better reception without an antenna on the roof. What could be wrong? I have heard, that pre-amplifier in antenna base could be corroded, but could be something else?
2. Driver's door clicking and not closing. When I push lock button on the remote, driver's door lock does click 3-5 times (others click once and close everything). Sometimes it doesn't even close the door. Same is with autolocking at 10kph. Could be that faulty powerlock, or something is wrong with wiring?
3. Automatic headlights won't turn on. Basically my father's Mondy have the same issue. I've understood, that foreign cars (we Estonians call every vehicle bought from somewhere else rather from here a foreign vehicle) have automatic headlamps set to be on only when it's dark. But that is against our law. In here, daytime lamps, low beams or foglights must be on during daytime. Is it possible, to reprogram cars automatic lights to have foglights on during daytime and low beams during night? Or low beams at both occasions?
4. Sat-nav map. Could someone tell me, where to get latest Eastern Europe map on Denso unit (with Estonian map written on it)? I have searched and found, that last map was from 2010, which is quite old. I have Western Europe map, but it doesn't show my country

Car is X-Type Estate, year 2004/11 (or 54 plate, like British users say).
Thanks for the help!

Old 09-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Wares, as for the radio static, it could be that you have a dirty connection on the antenna cable and that is causing your problem. Otherwise, having the in-screen antenna normally doesn't result in the best of reception. You could try adding an FM booster to the line to help get the FM signals higher for the radio to use at that point. That should fix your problem.

As for the driver's door, that is sounding like your lock actuator is having issues. You will want to first look at the pull cable as this is also a common problem as it will get dirty and bind up, making it more difficult for the actuator to lock the door.

As for automatic headlights. You will most likely need to run to your local jaguar dealership and ask them to order you either a canadian headlight switch or a Scandinavian headlight switch. The difference between the two is whether you want the low beams on in all positions of the headlight switch (Canadian) or have them only come on in the OFF and ON positions (Scandinavian).

As for the SAT-Nav update, 2010 is the newest version that will work with your car without having to upgrade the radio too. Unfortunately, because you have the SAT/Nav built into the car, upgrading that is not going to be a cheap fix as the A/C controls are built into the radio which makes things much more complicated.

Welcome to the X-Type world. I think you will find a lot of good information here. So, stick around and you will learn more about the car than you probably wanted to know. Also, please stop by the New Member Section and give us a quick intro. We pride ourselves in being a better car group than you will find elsewhere. As part of this, we like to get to know one another. Tell us a litlte bit about yourself and you will meet a lot of people here that are responsible for making this place what it is.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:12 AM

Welcome to the club, Wares. May I compliment you on your use of the English language. Better than most "natives"

Old 09-04-2016, 03:39 AM

@Thermo.
1. First of all, does radio antenna has a coaxial cable running through, or regular wire? Because on some photos I've seen 2 simple wires going inside antenna. If coaxial, then I would preferably even buy an FM booster.
2. Is actuator repair possible? Or new actuator is required? I believe, it's cheaper to replace broken part in actuator rather than replace the whole mechanism. Since there ain't much of X-Types in scrapyards, most of them are RHD. And my Estate is the only one in this country...
3. I think you didn't understand my question. On my switch, there is position A (which stands for automatic lights). When I turn to A, no light will turn on, when it's daytime. When it's dark, low beams are turning on. But that is against our laws. Our law regulation says, that during daytime, low beams or fog lights or daytime running lights MUST be turned on. I, as an IT student, have thought, that PCM should control headlight sensors work. So PCM should be somehow reprogrammed.
4. Alright, but is Ford's Denso map compatible with Jaguar's Denso? Because I've found a person, who has made latest map of my country, but for Ford's Denso system. If yes, then it's worth buying.
And thank you for warm greeting. I will certainly write something on New Member Section.
@thedebs53. Thank you for your warm greeting. And also thank you for compliment. Last year, I have passed Cambridge Advanced English exam, that might explain my better English usage

Last edited by Wares; 09-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Wares, attempting to find parts to repair the actuator is going to take way more time and probably more money than getting a new actuator. So, while I am sure you can tear the old one apart and put in a new part (most likely the coil itself), by the time you research everything, find the right coil, order that one part and tear everything apart, the new actuator will cost you the same. Keep in mind that you can probably get away with finding the actuator from a Ford Modeo and installing that. But, a little bit of research is needed for that.

As for the headlight switch, I see what you are after now. With that being said, the true fix is still getting the new headlight switch to make the lights come on as required by your laws. The auto feature is not a computer program that turns it on. The auto lights work via a light sensor on the dash (as I recall) and when the light level dips low enough, it triggers the auto-lamp module which then turns on the low beams. Now, a quick "hack" that you can do is to simply pull out a piece of electrical tape and put it over the light sensor. This will trick the sensor into thinking it is dark outside and then force the lights on. While this may force the lights on when they need to be, it may not meet the intent of the law either.

As for putting in a Ford Denso map in your Jaguar, I cannot speak to that. I know that members have experimented and found that the Jaguar maps are only good up to 2010. After that, jaguar went to a different program for the maps and it is not backwards compatible. You can give the Ford maps a try, but I would also have a recovery DVD handy incase things go south on you.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 AM

Thank you, Thermo. Then I would rather be looking for whole lock. Seems simple to get from scrapyards.
About light sensor, is it located inside the rear view mirror? If yes, then on which side? Mirror side, or in the back. As I can see, there is 3 outlets for sensors. 2 on the mirror side and one on the other side.

Back to radio reception, I had taken apart the antenna base. In fact, pre-amplifier clamp was open and I soldered it back together (like on Michael Kesler's blog was written). But it is still not okay. So my thought was, that there got to be something connecting antenna outlet and the copper clamp. See the picture I link here. I am thinking, that the aluminium boxy is antenna outlet and copper clamp sits right onto the antenna rod. They got to be connected somehow, or I am mistaken?

https://www.upload.ee/image/6132291/image.jpeg

Sorry for blurry picture. My old iPhone is not a great picture machine anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wares; 09-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 PM

Hello and sorry for doubleposting.

Some updates what I have done so far.

Tricked auto lights with a piece of insulation tape. Works like new. Same done to fathers Mondy.

Door started working, after I applied some WD40 into the actuator mechanism. Seems like some nuts or sprokets have been dry from grease. Like people say, duct tape and WD40 fixes everything.

Antenna still sends some static. Found out, that the circuit board of pre-amp is heavily corroded. That must be replaced, since restoration of this board is practically impossible. Maybe anybody can suggest, what scrapyard in the Western Europe can sell me this piece for low price and with option to post it internationally (to Eastern Europe). Since new antenna base is really expensive in the dealership here (85€ for part and 62.50€ for installing, because they can't sell parts without applying them).

About sat-nav, I've found a local citizen, who has built a sat-nav Estonian map for Ford Denso systems (pre 2007). It is up to date (last change in December 2015) and is based on Google's maps. Found it pretty handy for 80€. He helped me with installation process and it is compatible with Jag's Denso system. Other countries of Eastern Europe are from 2010 on his disc.

Thank you for your help and further advice.

Last edited by Wares; 09-15-2016 at 01:46 PM.