X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relay question, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Relay question, help please!

I recently bought (at auction) a beautiful x-type 2004 3.0 Auto with sport package and I soon noticed the left buttons in the steering wheel were not working. I live in Bolivia so I don't have access to any jaguar dealer to check it out. One thing I notice is that there is maybe a relay missing in my fuse box, I'm attaching a picture of it. According to that thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...Control+Module it seems I miss the R8 relay named TCM in the diagram. Does it always come with that? Or is it normal I don't have that? Could it be bounded to my steering control problems? Any help would be very welcomed. Daniel.

Attached Thumbnails Relay question, help please!-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Daniel,

I'm curious why the attached photo looks nothing like the distribution box diagram in the link. The distribution box in my car looks exactly like the drawing in the link. I also have no R8 relay, but my car has a manual transmission. R8 (TCM) controls power to the transmission control module. If R8 is really missing and your car is an automatic, then I would expect the transmission to misbehave.

By "left" steering wheel controls, you do mean the radio controls, correct? These controls are connected directly to the radio and to chassis ground through what JTIS calls a "cassette". I'm guessing that if Jag does this like General Motors, the "cassette" is a device in the steering column that maintains electrical connection between the electrical "stuff" in the steering wheel and the rest of the steering column. If my guess is correct, this cassette has coiled-up wires (like a clock spring) that allow the steering wheel to turn lock-to-lock without breaking the connections.

The electrical "stuff" in the steering wheel that could be wired through this cassette includes the air bag, horn, radio controls and cruise controls. If all the other stuff besides the radio controls are working fine, the cassette still may be the problem. If I were troubleshooting this problem, I would pull the radio and verify continuity of the steering wheel radio controls using an ohm meter. There is only one wire carrying this signal to the radio. Each switch, when operated, inserts a unique resistance value between this wire and chassis ground. Unfortunately, JTIS doesn't identify any values for these resistors, but it should be obvious if the connection in the cassette is broken as the resistance would always be high regardless of what button was pressed.

If you are really interested in tracking this problem down, I can send you the relevant bit of the schematic diagram. If not, you should be able to find a mechanic who is able to do this for you....its not rocket science and it doesn't take a Jag dealer either.

Mark

Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

artisofbeauty, your fuse box look exactly like mine, I looked all the treads post for 04 fuse box couldn't find one like ours.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:45 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Relay R8 is the Powerwash relay not TCM in that fusebox as per the schematics for 2004. In 2003 it was a different box and R8 was for the TCM and R6 was the powerwash.
You can download the schematics from https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...VJOFG7u44fCQ0Q

Roger