X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start!!

Anybody had experience with remote start systems?? Im wondering about compatability...Are most systems compatibile with any vehicle. Are there any issues with the jag that might hinder compatability. Plus, I found a X-type remote start system thats pretty cheap, but I was looking into the FM 2-way type systems??

Thanks,

Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Remote Start!!

You hit the key word here..."cheap" and it won't work so don't go out and buy it.

Several issues that make the jag a very difficult system to run and the first one being the key to start your Jag. The key is encoded and you will need a spare so the guy can tap into the key. There are companies out there that can make you an encoded key for the remote start system. The second part of this is the electrical system. It it very different than your normal ford or any other type of vehicle. Personally, I went to get the remote start system installed just last week...after my wife's caddy...(she loves the remote start, so do I) anyway, the guy explained all this to me and I didn't feel comfortable with the electrical hacking involved compared to what was done to the caddy (plug and play) plus the cost....which was almost double.....

It can be done...and most professional alarm places can do it....but it's far from cheap....and I don't recommend you doing it yourself...

Old 02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew somebody at least enquired! I totally understand about the wire hack job, I wouldnt want my electrical system comprimised. You would think that most newer systems would be easy...I got a friend who has it installed on a 80 somethin lincoln!! How crazy is that...Im gonna go down to my local custom shop I frequent, they usually have some strait forward answers.

Thanks!!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

a lot of european cars have problems when you want to install a remote start. jaguar and VW (believe it or not!) are almost impoosible to have it installed. i called about 6 places locally and only 1 would even attempt the job and told me at a minimum i would be looking at a $400+ bill and no promises of it working. they even went so far as to say if they did attempt the install and things did not go right they would not be responsible for any repairs needed by a factory jag tech after. if you think the jag wiring is intense check out a VW some time.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

:-) told ya

Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually when I checked into one when my car was being worked on at the jag dealer they told me they had a brand new remote start system. They were trying to develop it into the key fob but it wasn't possible so they had a button that attaches to your keys and the guy said it was about the size of your thumbnail. He said it was just under 400 (I think) I never checked into it any further than that though...

Old 02-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Well if that's the case...I want one!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

My whole experience with remote start though is filled with more headaches than warm or cold days with the car. EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW that have had a remote start have had some problem or another with them. Whether it be with the system or the car not starting or what not I just don't think they are worth it unless there aren't a hundred wires that are being tapped into to connect the stupid thing. Don't get me wrong I love sitting in a hot or cold car without having to go out into the weather to start the car but I just don't think its worth being stranded to me...than again with all of the other quirks these cars have what's another?

Old 02-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  4.7 KB

Hey guys, I can honestly say it's not sumthin I've really came across over here, unless anyone knows differently?
Maybe it's an American thing, I don't know, so what are the benefits exactly weighed up against the cost. What exactly do you get for your money?

Jim C

Old 02-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there Jimmy, when you say its not something you've come across over there are you speaking of problems with them or actually knowing anything about remote start? If your speaking of remote start they are really actually excellent things when they work and don't cause problems! My wifes dad had a remote start and a alarm and his van was completely disabled. I had to first find all of the hardware and than disconnect it all to get his van to start, after this as well his battery stopped going dead. My grandpa has had way more than a handful of problems with his system in his car and has been stranded at numerous places. The most recent problem was at the hospital just after my grandmother died, he was stuck in the parking lot and the tow truck couldn't even get to his car because the parking spots at the hospital were so tight. My wifes moms neon had a system installed on her car and it worked good up until this year when the system went bad which was less than 2 years old. I bought the same system for my ford thunderbird and I didn't have any problems with it and we bought the one for the neon and my car the same receipt. My cousins and aunt all had them installed on their cars and all have had to be worked on. The concept and using the remote start is awesome but when it comes to this jag I would NEVER have someone install it with the chance of something happening! The cost of the systems aren't that bad. When I went to buy mine at a local Mickey Shorr's (like best buy, circuit ciy, etc.) which is owned by abc warehouse or vice versa and they wanted $99 for the first line of remote starters and they went up from there. 99 got you one remote installed and it only started the vehicle. 150 got you a better remote starter with a longer range (600-800 ft.). 200 got two remotes. 250 got you two remotes and keyless entry. 300 was keyless entry, 2 remotes, and perhaps either van door open or trunk opener. The brand of remote starters were dei which is a household name for remote starters. In the summer (as long as you turn your heat or a/c on) your car would be started and cooled off before you got into the car and you only have to be within so many feet of the car. In the cold winters you don't even have to leave the warmth of your home to start your car and she'll be just as warm as your house once you go to get in. The starters are generally set up for 15 minute intervals meaning once the cars been started for 15 mins. it shuts off. Some newer systems that come with an alarm system have keychains that show when your car is being broken into and what not on a lcd transceiver that also shows when the car is started and shows smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I've also heard where you can also monitor it from a computer or you can even start the car by using your cell phone when you are out of the range of the remotes!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  4.7 KB

Fu*kin ell, thats some sorta full indepth answer Aquill. You're right though, I know nothing about these remote start systems as to my knowledge we don't have it over here, or if we do, I certainly haven't seen it.
I reckonthough for the costs involved and the benefits offered I wouldn't bother. i'd probably rather spend my money on some other upgrade...........like maybe upper n lower mesh grilles
Man I really want to get those babies. I was in the Jag dealership the other day and saw plenty with it, some had the bright chrome look and others the black mesh. I think I'd like the black mesh!
Soon, very soon.

Jim C

Old 02-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

You think you'd go with the black on yours? I'm sure it'd look good either way but I like the look of nineballs, if I had a black one I'd definitely go black though your car is a darker color. Actually I really ahve no idea what I'd go with, now that I think of it black would probably look good on my car with the all blue. I'll just have to try and photoshop it...

Old 02-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Name:  Jagbrightlights7.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  4.6 KB

ORIGINAL: aquill1
You think you'd go with the black on yours? I'm sure it'd look good either way but I like the look of nineballs, if I had a black one I'd definitely go black though your car is a darker color. Actually I really ahve no idea what I'd go with, now that I think of it black would probably look good on my car with the all blue. I'll just have to try and photoshop it...
ohh yeah, for sure I think I'd go for the black. I think it's sporty and cool, yet subtle somehow. As I've said before ( those stateside, please don't take this personally) I'm really not a fan of the chrome or bright steel, other than maybe the exhaust tips, say.
Over here thats a bit sorta retro and just not me.
Need to look at geting the bucks together for it though, hopefully soon. I'll let you know. If you do yours first I'm sure like me, you'll have pics posted all over the place anyways.

JC