X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing ball joints

Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Removing ball joints

I have removed the front lower ball joint nuts on both sides of the car but I can't budge the bolts. The bolts have a torx T55 drive. I soaked them in PB blaster overnight and tried to spin forward or back with a 1/2" impact wrench which doesn't do a thing. I tried a few hard whacks with a hammer and got nowhere. Then I tried a big breaker bar and snapped off 2 different T55 bits. Any advice on removing these bolts?

Once the bolts are out how hard is it to pop out the ball joint?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

This is one where a picture would be most helpful in seeing what you are trying to remove.
Below I have attached a link to Gus's web site. A forum member. About 2/3 of the way scrolled down you will find Jaguar Spec books. Each is a full section of the tech manual. Download the chassis section and it should provide the details needed. I am unfamiliar with any torx head bolts on the front suspension. I believe they are cap screws.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Hope this helps.
Vern

Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 AM

Good point, pictures! I am stuck on the last 2 words of step 1, "and bolt"...

The picture below shows the head of the bolt with torx T55 drive. This picture is from underneath the car, driver's side front wheel, looking toward the front of the car. The car has had several owners so it may not be original, but it sure doesn't look very new and it matches the bolt on the passenger side.

If the bolt is no longer threaded to anything I can put the nut back on and hammer away at it, I just didn't want to start doing that since it seems something else is holding the bolt in.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Thanks for the picture. I located the bolt on the lower wishbone diagram at the SNG BARRATT web site for parts. It is a bolt only and it would appear rust is the problem. If you are replacing the lower ball joint I would put the nut back on flush apply some heat with a propane torch and hammer it free. It is an OEM bolt and SNG BARRATT has them if you have to replace them.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Something keeps eating at me about this. When I replaced my entire arms, there was something that sticks in the back of my mind about this bolt. I seem to remember not being able to turn it from the torx side, but only loosen the nut, then whacked it (nut) with a mallet to loosen and remove. I just can't remember why I couldn't turn it from the torx side (did it have a small captive component?....damn, it was something). I just remember clearly, to remove, the nut came off and the torx head was just to secure removal/replacement. Getting the ball joint out was a bitch as well, the Air Base shop did not have a spanner, just the pickle fork type which is not the optimum tool.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 PM

It was finally warm enough to have another go. There must be something else going on. I have pried open the steel cover that prevents crud from getting in the ball joint and thoroughly soaked those bolts (one on the driver side, one on the passenger side) in penetrating oil from both ends and the middle. Heated the bolt and cooled the knuckle. Soaked in penetrating oil again. Heated the knuckle and cooled the bolt. Soaked in oil again. Put the nuts back on and hammered with a 2 lb sledge until nuts and bolts are deformed and need to be cut off. Still has not moved either bolt at all. Tomorrow I try to drill them out.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-arms-186936/

Just an after thought, look at the video in this post. You do have to take pressure off the entire assembly to remove the ball joint. Video has a "jack up" type unit to take the pressure off. The air base shop didn't have this type, just an adjustable height type. So we put it under the arm, and SLOWLY lowered the car on the lift to get the same effect.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Thanks Dell, that is a great write up on the control arms. In that video at 1:15 the mechanic rotates the ball joint pinching bolt with the T55 head by hand with a socket wrench. This is not possible in my car. In 20 minutes of battling with a high quality IR impact wrench I can't budge the bolt. Using a big breaker bar snaps off the torx bits pdq. At 1:30 into the video he taps the bolt and it falls out. I have beat on the end of that bolt (with a nut on, trying not to damage threads or mushroom the bolt) until the nut and bolt are deformed. What is accomplished in the video in 15 seconds has been several hours for me and I don't appear closer than I was after the first 15 seconds when the nut came off easily. This is all before I need to take the pressure off to remove the ball joint. I hope to get to that point one day!

Last edited by dh53; 02-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Success! I am relieved. I had the drill and the bit set out and knew it was going to be arduous and messy to drill those bolts out. Decided to give it one last try with what I should have done hours ago...a bigger hammer. The driver's side bolt popped out after a few hard whacks. The passenger side bolt had to be hammered all the way out using a punch. With 3/4 of the bolt out of the hole it was still so tight I could not turn the bolt with a breaker bar on that Torx head and everything dripping in penetrating oil. The picture doesn't show it very well but both bolts are bent. Not sure if this was the cause of them being so stubborn or the result of beating on them so hard to get them out.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, AWFULLY rusted as well. New bolts/nuts for sure, maybe lubed a bit prior to re-installing!