X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Left/Front Window Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Replace Left/Front Window Regulator

I've been having some weird issues with my driver's window in that it rattles when rolled all the way up or down. I went in to the dealer to have them look at that and get my free multi-point inspection where they discovered some kind of issue with the regulator. I was quoted at $900 ($750 if I could "wait a few days" for the part) at which point I obviously passed.

Now I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced a regulator and how difficult of a job it is to do. I saw some regulators on eBay around $100 so I'd like to go that route if possible.

At least my car passed it's multi-point with flying colors

Last edited by emaraszek; 05-21-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM

No one on this forum has done a window regulator before?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Ok, I haven't done a window regulator, but I've done door speakers and lock actuators which are around the regulator. To the best of my memory, it is a relatively straight forward repair. Just remove the door panel by taking out the two screws at the bottom of the door and the screw under the plastic cover right below the door pull. Then there are a lot of clips holding the panel onto the door and if you just pull straight out, you will be able to get them free.

Now that you're under the door panel, the window regulator is just like any other regulator except that you have a smaller space to work with. Just remove the wiring, take off the bolts holding the regulator to the window and then the bolts holding the regulator to the door. Then you just put in the new one and be on your way. Probably will take any experienced mechanic 30-45 minutes, but if you're doing it in your garage, allow for at least 2 hours to ensure you did everything right

Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by disguay
Ok, I haven't done a window regulator, but I've done door speakers and lock actuators which are around the regulator. To the best of my memory, it is a relatively straight forward repair. Just remove the door panel by taking out the two screws at the bottom of the door and the screw under the plastic cover right below the door pull. Then there are a lot of clips holding the panel onto the door and if you just pull straight out, you will be able to get them free.

Now that you're under the door panel, the window regulator is just like any other regulator except that you have a smaller space to work with. Just remove the wiring, take off the bolts holding the regulator to the window and then the bolts holding the regulator to the door. Then you just put in the new one and be on your way. Probably will take any experienced mechanic 30-45 minutes, but if you're doing it in your garage, allow for at least 2 hours to ensure you did everything right
Thanks for the reply, I watched a youtube video where a guy does the regulator on an Impala, but I was concerned with the amount of interior trim on the X-Type that it would be difficult.

But if you've poked around in there before and it isn't a huge deal then I'll do it myself.

The thing is that after they disassembled and reassembled the door trim at the dealer my problem has gone away. I suspect it will be back if what they said is indeed true about the regulator, but for now I'll leave it alone