X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear brakes and rear caliper piston spins but will not compress

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear brakes and rear caliper piston spins but will not compress

Hello all I am new to the forum and want to say hello to all!

Today I decided to a replace my rear rotors and pads on my 06 X-type and ran into some problems. I was able to replace the passenger side with ease, but when I started the driver side I dont know what happened. I didnt know that the piston needed to be turned counter clockwise to be compressed. The whole time I was going clockwise. My problem is that now the piston just turns and doesnt compress when I am turning counter clockwise. I tried putting a c clamp to put pressure and turning the piston, but it still doesnt compress. I am stuck on what to do...Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

SteveO, I would try opening the bleed valve on the caliper in question and then try going in the correct direction and see if you can get the piston to go back in at that point. You may need to go around a few times to get the threads on the piston to engage and start retracting. Then you will need to bleed the caliper once you are done. But ,that is easy. If you still can't get it back in, then odds are you are looking at a new caliper. Sometimes lessons are learned the hard way. But atleast next time you will know which way to go.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 PM

I did this same job on my '06 about a month ago and ran into the same problem. Turns out I wasn't pushing hard enough while turning. I did have the bleeers open. You really need to lean on it. Lean on it, while turning, until you feel like you'll push your car off the jack stands...then push just a little harder and they'll go in. Ridiculous design considering how easy the fronts are!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran into the same problem while changing the rears on my 06 X. I used the brake caliper tool kit from Harbor Freight. It allows you to both turn and put some decent force on the piston. It turned mine in just fine.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Don't mess around, get the tool...

You need the right tool (it costs about $34) - no amount of clamps and brute force - or that stupid "universal" cube thing with the hollow center did it for me - but with piston retractor tool, it was no big deal. See Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...kit-97143.html BTW, from the main page, try the "Search This Forum" function - there are lots of threads on this issue. And you do have to open the bleeder valve. Many of the posts also say you should change out the fluid too while you're at it (I didn't, but most of these guys know alot more than I do.)

Last edited by MeatBag; 06-15-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I agree with the guys above who say to give it more grunt. I have the tool to compress, but I'll always end up trying the cube and brute force first. Take the caliper and carefully put ithe back against something sturdy where you can get some leverage (coil spring, control arm, etc.)....then push HARD, like as hard as you can and then a little bit harder (think about something that pisses you off...Being a Pens fan, I think about the Flyers ). Make sure your jackstands are really positioned well and you have the wheels chocked.

If that doesn't work, time to get the tool. I doubt you've blown out the caliper although it is possible.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem when I did mine. The front go one way and the back go the other way. I don't remember which goes which, just one set goes clock-wise and the other go counter clock-wise. I also remember I had to use a compresor tool as a little helper, but they will go in, don't give up.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 PM

thank you all for your help...i ended up having to put alot more pressure than i did the first time...i actually ended up putting pressure with a normal brake pad compress tool and turning with some soft grip channel locks i had..that ended up doing the job...once again thanks for the help ill see everyone around the forums

Old 06-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did mine on the weekend with new rotors and all that I got in Partstrain.com at 18.95 each.
I was pushing hard enough while turning, I also had the E brake off and the battery disconected in case the computer block the brake system