X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lights not working

I have a 02 x-type with manual transmission. I have a problem with the reverse lights and reverse sensors not working. I tried to fix the lights first by buying new bulbs and I also checked the fuse. The fuse is fine and lights are new and it still wont work. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Is their a reverse light switch or something that could be out?

Thanks for your time guys!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Reverse lights not working

The reverse switch not working is exactly what it sounds like. I am
not sure where it is located but It is actuated when the gear shifter is
moved to the reverse postion. Perhaps someone else knows where the
switch is???

Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

According to JTIS, the reverse switch is located at "top of transmission".

Old 09-13-2008, 01:48 PM

Thanks guys I will see if its in either one of those places.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Default Reverse lights issue

I've been working on a 2005 x type with reverse lights problems and solved it with a bypass of the reverse switch to prove it's failure, does anyone know if the radios have a security code, I have to take the battery and tray out to swap the sensor.

Thanks all

Old 12-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

That's hard to answer, some do, some don't. Had mine die, have disconnected several times and radio is fine. I do have yo reset the auto windows, but haven't experienced the radio code one as others have. Worst case scenario is you can provide dealer with Vin, etc. & proof of ownership, they can give you the code.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:11 PM

Thanks dell for the answer.

Great site this is...!!

Old 12-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Cleaver, if you are in the US, there is no code. If you are in England, yes, you will need a code. Other parts of the world it is hit and miss as to whether you have a code for the radio or not. With that being said, if you talk with your dealership, they should be able to get you the code with proof of ownership.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:24 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Cleaver,

It seems that some 2002 do need radio codes. I have a 2002, that has always been in Florida, and have to use the following procedure to restore my radio after power loss.

How to Restore Radio In X Type - 2002

Use this routine when “CODE” is displayed on radio LCD after power loss, providing the original radio is still fitted.

***NOTE***

PLEASE WAIT” will initially be displayed on the radio LCD and may remain for up to 30 mins before “CODE” is displayed.

Reverse lights not working-radio_please_wait.jpg

Press the [>>], [A.MEM] and [PTY] keys simultaneously. This should restore the radio back to working condition.

I have included a YouTube video of the procedure.

(Note the video was made on a right-hand drive X Type with CD player, but it works for left-hand drive with cassette player also.)

Give this a try if you get the "Please Wait" followed by "Code" message on your cat...

Last edited by PanamaJag; 12-31-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:19 PM

Hi have a problem that’s driving me round bend, I have an 08 xtype, the reversing lights and rear parking sensors have stopped working, front sensors are ok, I’ve replaced the switch on the gearbox but still no joy.
Help !

Old 06-20-2023, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

lordbarry, first off, Welcome to JaguarForums. I think you are going to like this place. So, stick around and join in on the many conversations that are going on and you may learn a few new tricks to your car too. May even be able to help out others as you have run across their problem. One thing that we do ask is you stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your car. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and this gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is and we get to learn a little bit about you.

As for your problem. this can be caused by a few things. So, lets start with the easiest and we'll move up from there. You have 1 fuse that can possibly be the problem. So, take a look at fuse F34 in the passenger compartment fuse box. That is your most likely suspect. If that does not fix the issue, then I recommend going out to the switch on the tranny and disconnecting it and then inserting a wire between the two posts there. Did the reverse lights turn on now? If yes, you have a problem with the reverse switch or when you installed it, the tranny is not making contact with the switch.

At this point, take a multimeter and probe the 2 terminals in the plug and see which one has 12 VDC on it. Note that terminal. Now you are going to want to spend a few dollars on a device called a "wire tracer" (here is an example of one on E-bay: Sperry Instruments ET64220 Wire Tracker/Wire Tracer NEW - Open Box 35632064854 | eBay - I personally own this one and it works well). The box has a compartment on the back with a few different tips. You want to pull out the one that is just a metal probe and stick it into the terminal that does not have the 12 VDC. Turn on the wire tracer box. Using the probe, push on the button and this will allow you to follow the green wire (with a black stripe) towards the rear of the car. You can either just follow the wire as best you can and see where you loose the tone or you can try half-splitting the car and jumping to say the trunk to see if you can find a tone back there on the parking aide module (in the spare tire well). If you find it there, then you know you have a good wire back to the parking aide module. If not, you know you have a wiring problem somewhere between the trunk and the tranny (back to hand over handing the wiring). You simply follow the wiring and find where you have tone at one point in the wiring and no tone a few inches away. In those few inches, you have a problem with the wiring (either the insulation is worn off and it is grounding to the body of the car or the wire is broke inside the insulation. Based on the nature of your problem, I am willling to bet that you are gonig to find that you have a damaged wire around the area of the rear seat where it goes into the trunk on the right side of your car. But, that is just a guess.

If you need more assistance, let me know. I will help you get to the end of this. Just tell me what you find and we can go from there.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:16 AM

Hi thanks for the extensive reply, it’s very good of you to take the time to reply.
The system was working fine until about 4 weeks ago when after having an oil leak the garage told me the gearbox had a crack in it, I reluctantly had them source a recon gearbox and they the fitted it, didn’t solve the oil leak though, so about 4 days after the fitting the reverse light and parking sensors packed up, although on occasions the whole thing works then immediately stops working.
Again thanks for the reply I’ll let you know how it works out.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:11 AM

Hi
progress so far, the F34 fuse was good but changed it anyway, took the switch off the top of the gearbox tested that, worked out ok, there is a current going to the switch plug.
I put the gears into reverse & switched on the ignition (but not the engine) got 4 beeps, and that’s it no sensors or reverse light working. ???

Old 07-06-2023, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Barry, take the car and shift it in and out of reverse until your get the 4 beeps. THen leave the car in Reverse. Then, run your ear next to each of the rear parking sensors. You should hear a high pitched chirp/screech. If you have 1 that is not, then that is a bad sensor and will need to be replaced. You may even have 2 that do not work.

Next, take the back off of the tail lights and make sure you have good bulbs in the reverse lights. It may be possible that you have 2 bad bulbs. Next, I would try putting in a known good bulb and see if you get light then. I know the bulb bases can get a little finicky. After that, I would check to see if you are getting power to the base by removing the bulb and measuring voltage there.

If this has still not shown you the problem, then we will start taking more drastic actions to figure out what is going on.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:55 PM

Ok I’ll try out what you describe to see what happens
cheers

Old 08-06-2023, 03:02 PM
Default Reversing lights parking sensors

Hi
need a bit advice, I recently had a problem with my p/ sensors / reversing lights, I bought and fitted a new switch for the top of the gearbox, still nothing, done some electrical tests everything ok.
My problem is the striker plate in the gearbox, if I put the car in reverse nothing happens but if I pull the gearstick down hard everything works.
My question is can any adjustments be make so the striker plate makes the switch connection, which is a ball on the base of the switch which gets pushed up by the striker plate that makes the connection.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

lordbarrry, looking at the service manual, it does not appear that there is any adjustment to be made. the only possibility I can see is either you have too much play in your reverse shift linkage, leading to the reverse gear not getting pushed into position properly (unless you pull back hard on the reverse lever-which is telling me you have some play). So, it may be nothing more than getting a new reverse shift cable and installing it. Granted, that is easier said than done. Installing a new cable sounds like it is a real bear to put in as you have to support the engine due to the brackets you have to remove to gain access. Maybe other members can chime in on this. I am not familiar with the manual transmissions and cannot give great details other than what I read from the manual.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:55 AM

Thanks for that information it’s very helpful