Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Parking Sensor System

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reverse Parking Sensor System

Hey all!

I decided to work on my reverse sensors today. I used all the knowledge I could find from previous threads posted on this forum. Originally I replaced the backup sensor on my manual transmission. After I did that my reverse lights started working and I heard a long tone coming from the rear seat area. I thought all was good. My reverse lights started to work(hooray). I assumed the reverse sensor system would start working too, but it did not. I went back and listened to all the sensors. All the sensors chirped except for the far right side. I was like cool cause I will just replace it, but for the heck of it I pulled out the far left one and replaced with the one I thought was bad. I Plugged in the supposedly bad one and it did not work on the left. cool no problem right? I decided to put the good one from the far left in the socket on the far right and the good one would not work there. I tested voltage from bad sensor socket and I have 12 volts, but I do not know what to test for when it comes to the data wire. I did for the heck of it wire up the data wire from far left that I know works to the bad sensor socket and still could not get the good sensor to work on the bad sensor socket.

What does this mean!

Do I have a back connector?
Do I have bad wires going to the socket?
Do I have both bad wires, and sensor?
Do I have a bad module?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

2002 xtype 3.0 manual

I also have the wiring diagram already.

Thanks all be good!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

captainmph, the data wire is going to have a signal that is so small, you will not be able to accurately measure it with a multimeter.

Based on what you are describing, I would first start with looking at the plug on the right side (had the bad sensor at the beginning) and look at the connectors and make sure that they are all nice and silver in color. If they are rusty, use a small screw driver or scribe and scrape at the connectors till they are shiny silver. Then try the good sensor again and see if you get it to chirp in that spot. If you can, then a new sensor is all that you should need at this point. If the sensor will still not chirp, then you are most likely looking at having to get a new harness for back there as you can not just buy the connector (to the best of my knowledge). I wish the news was better, but that is the short of it.

You will definitely need a new sensor (pay attention, the ones on the outside are different than the ones on the inside). As for other parts, do as I mention and go from there.

The following users liked this post:
captainmph (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I would love to just replace the the connector for piece of mind. But I was pretty doubtful to find one. I will look into what you said and go from there. I would love to get them working. I did stick wires in the end of the connector and it read 12 volts so I was optimistic that the connector was good.

I might try working on it again tomorrow!

Thanks Thermo