Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right ARB-link snapped, twice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Right ARB-link snapped, twice

Hey forum,

I lowered mine (installed Bilstein B12s) and have since had two ARB links snap - both times the right side. This happened when turning right up a normal driveway.

Is this to be expected after lowering our cars? What should I look for and how could this be corrected?

Thank you!

Old 10-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jag4, that does not sound normal to me. NOrmally, to snap an arm like you are talking about, that is telling me that your suspension is getting bound up and you are essentially making metal on metal contact somewhere, preventing the suspension from moving any more.

To figure this out, I would say that you need to use a jack and lift the right rear tire until it stops moving. From there, you can take a look and see where your binding is occurring. Once you figure that out, then the solution should become obvious.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jag4, that does not sound normal to me. NOrmally, to snap an arm like you are talking about, that is telling me that your suspension is getting bound up and you are essentially making metal on metal contact somewhere, preventing the suspension from moving any more.

To figure this out, I would say that you need to use a jack and lift the right rear tire until it stops moving. From there, you can take a look and see where your binding is occurring. Once you figure that out, then the solution should become obvious.
Thermo, Thanks. Yeah didn't think it was normal. Each time this happened
I heard a THUD, so yeah, clearly something's binding. How does one go about jacking the one tire though... I do have access to lift so that's not an issue.

While we're here, in terms of improving overall stability for my weekend canyon runs, does it make sense for me to have a custom rear ARB made? Or would beefing up existing (front/rear) be enough?

Old 10-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jag4, take a floor jack that can lift up about 20 inches or so and put it under the shock mount and lift it up. Keep an eye on the rear tire as you will see it go up and up into the wheel well and then stop going up. That is where you have maxed out the suspension. From there, it is a matter of looking. MOst helpful if you take off the tire once you get the tire off the ground. ALso make sure to block the left front tire on both the front and rear sides as you may be lifting the left rear and right front tires off of the ground.

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM

For anyone reading this thread... Issue turned out to be the right rear upper control arm, bushing was bad. Zo I'm replacing the control arms. Should fix the issue.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Be sure to replace them with the "Thermo" adjustable ones.