Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right side rear fog delete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Right side rear fog delete?

Having lived overseas much of my adult life, I've grown accustomed to using the rear fog lights on my VWs, Mercedes, and Volvos. They tend to have just the left side illuminated. This has the benefit of not looking like brake lights to less worldly drivers on North American roads. I know that for some reason the UK tends to illuminate both sides (it does get extra foggy there in parts and their population is used to it), but I think having one light makes more sense.

I'm new to this Jag thing, but if I remove the right bulb, is it Jaguar/British motoring sacrilege? Either way, I'll do it, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you remove the RHS bulb, you'll fail the MOT, if the light is fitted it must work, cars with only one fog light fitted have it fitted on the RHS in the UK a quick google reveals this handy page, apparently the MOT test ONLY checks for a RHS or centre rear fog light, so the manufacturers are overdoing it themselves.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm
scroll to bottom of the page

Although I tend to agree a single low level fog light would at least stop them from looking like brake lights, especially with the numpties riding around with them on in rain.

Last edited by djdex; 03-18-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by djdex
If you remove the RHS bulb, you'll fail the MOT, if the light is fitted it must work, cars with only one fog light fitted have it fitted on the RHS in the UK a quick google reveals this handy page, apparently the MOT test ONLY checks for a RHS or centre rear fog light, so the manufacturers are overdoing it themselves.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm
scroll to bottom of the page

Although I tend to agree a single low level fog light would at least stop them from looking like brake lights, especially with the numpties riding around with them on in rain.
Good to know. The center rear fog like on a Mini seems ideal then, if it fits the car's design. Since you belong to the half a dozen or so (major) countries that drive on the left side of the road, I agree the RHS rear fog would be the one you should require. Us yanks drive on the other side of the road (like nearly all other countries in Europe... yes it's true for the non-believers reading this). <- sorry, pet peeve of mine "all cars in Europe are right hand drive though, right?" No, only on some islands left of the continent.

Numpties here leave the rear fogs on in daylight, perfectly clear nights, etc. - either so we know how "European" they are or because they are blissfully naive of this feature and just turn on all lights possible. I try to follow the 50 meter rule in heavy rain, fog and snow only.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear fog lights are only supposed to be used in very poor visibility, to make sure you can be seen by a faster vehicle approaching from behind. It makes perfect sense to have a pair of them, which gives an immediate perspective to the approaching driver and tells him how fast he is closing and a rough idea of how far away the lights are. I've never understood why a single rear fog light is even allowed, as it gives no indication as to distance or closing speed.

In my view single rear fog lights are a result of manufacturer cost-cutting and should be banned. My other gripe is that rear fog lights should be separated from all the other rear lights (including the turn indicators) by at least a foot, to prevent the other lights from being obscured by glare - particularly the case in the UK where many idiots put their fog lights on in light rain.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gnomeface
Rear fog lights are only supposed to be used in very poor visibility, to make sure you can be seen by a faster vehicle approaching from behind. It makes perfect sense to have a pair of them, which gives an immediate perspective to the approaching driver and tells him how fast he is closing and a rough idea of how far away the lights are. I've never understood why a single rear fog light is even allowed, as it gives no indication as to distance or closing speed.

In my view single rear fog lights are a result of manufacturer cost-cutting and should be banned. My other gripe is that rear fog lights should be separated from all the other rear lights (including the turn indicators) by at least a foot, to prevent the other lights from being obscured by glare - particularly the case in the UK where many idiots put their fog lights on in light rain.
Your logic gets flawed based on where some Land Rover brake light configs here in the US, where the bumper lights get used for brakes instead of the pillar lights. In either constellation, this will appear like brake lights to anyone who's never left the country. A left light on will only appear "broken" to those unaware, but they won't assume you've applied the brakes.

Single rear fog in the center or on the dividing line side of the road makes the most sense and most governments where this is mandated agree with me. In situations where visibility mandates usage, you don't drive fast.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Meh... Anytime there is crappy weather and it starts getting dark I turn on the rear fogs to make myself more visible to all the idiots around here. If it looks like brake lights hopefully they'll slow down and/or stay the hell away from me!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Meh... Anytime there is crappy weather and it starts getting dark I turn on the rear fogs to make myself more visible to all the idiots around here. If it looks like brake lights hopefully they'll slow down and/or stay the hell away from me!
Dude, you're one of the numpties.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

wtf is a numptie?

I just do it because I live in Vegas... The minute it starts raining here there are 40 accidents. This city is ranked pretty close to the top of the list of worst drivers in America.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember when I lived in Arizona for a little bit within 1 minute of it raining your right we had about 40 accidents. One of the many reasons I moved back east, never had the problem here.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
wtf is a numptie?

I just do it because I live in Vegas... The minute it starts raining here there are 40 accidents. This city is ranked pretty close to the top of the list of worst drivers in America.
No idea, but it sounds funny.

Wow, I thought drivers in the pacific northwest were bad. People seem to get shocked when it rains and my commute times double. Problem is it rains 50% of the time.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:09 AM

Ok guys I'll do it for you, Numptie - http://tiny.cc/7Nm00

Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by djdex
Ok guys I'll do it for you, Numptie - http://tiny.cc/7Nm00
Thanks. we need to know this ****e if we're driving British cars in the colonies.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
Thanks. we need to know this ****e if we're driving British cars in the colonies.
Hee Hee, if you're ever in the UK and stuck behind one, at least you now know the correct terminology ! :-)

Next time I'm in the US or Canada I'll have to try to spread the word :-0