Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roaring sound 2.0D in idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roaring sound 2.0D in idle

Hi X400 enthousiasts!

I'm from Holland and new on this forum and I would like your opinion about 2 things.

Last weekend I bought a X-Type 2.0D. Built in 2004 and it has driven appr. 236.000 kms, manual gearbox.

Interior and exterior are very nice, with little user marks here and there, but no corrosion or dents and the paintjob is, apart from the minor marks, absolutely beautiful.

A week ago, I made the test drive and I have checked the car and it convinced me to go for this one! Purred nicely and handled well.

But...
Today when I came home, I let the engine run for a minute or two in idle and noticed a strange (hollow-ish) 'roaring' sound that comes an goes with seconds. Like there is a big hungry cat under the bonnet next to the engine... During these roars, the engine drops 50 - 100 RPM's.

While driving, the engine sounds good, car drives well and the driving experience is awesome.

I did not notice this roaring sound during the test drive and check-up, but I would like to know what this could possibly be. Is there anyone that could understand this problem?

The sound is there, when I put the gear in neutral, or when holding the clutch.

Also, when I turn the engine off and pull the key out, there is a soft buzzing sound coming from the dash behind the steering wheel that keeps buzzing. It is hard to hear, but it is there. Do I need to worry?

Hopefully there is someone that can help me understand these issues as mentioned.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

The dash quiet buzzing is the temp sensor running (behind that little tiny grill by steering column) perfectly normal. It self shuts off.

The other, mine is gas, no help here.

The following users liked this post:
G.Spekman (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
Good to know that the buzz is normal.
I also think it is a diesel problem. I hope it is easily solvable.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The roaring noice could be the idler pulley bearing. I had a 2.0D several years ago with this issue, and it was sorted under warranty.