X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Robbers Stole my Stuff - now i have my car to fix.... advice please!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robbers Stole my Stuff - now i have my car to fix.... advice please!

Just back from a tour of Europe, had a great time, unfortunately some italian thieves broke into my car and stole lots of my gear and valuables.

They broke 4 - yes FOUR!!! windows to get in, drivers, offside rear, offside quarter glass and the tailgate (mine is an estate)

I bought some glass on ebay, cheap enough, managed to get the rear quarter glass in but can`t get the main window in on the offside back door.

Has anyone tackled this? I`m sure there`s just a certain way of jiggling it in but I can`t figure it out..!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

lewierocks, what I have always done in the past is roll the window half way down. From there, you will need to remove the old window from the mounts at where the glass meets the window mechanism. From there, remove the outer trim on the door to give yourself some room. May even need to slide the seal in the door for the glass out of the way. From there, the glass should drop right in. Once bolted in place, if you need to install the window seal, roll the window all the way down, install the seal. This is a good time to install the trim at the base of the glass too. Roll up the window and make sure all works smooth.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

lewierocks, the procedure that thermo has described is also available in the JTIS (automated repair manual) which you can find for free on this forum.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
lewierocks, what I have always done in the past is roll the window half way down. From there, you will need to remove the old window from the mounts at where the glass meets the window mechanism. From there, remove the outer trim on the door to give yourself some room. May even need to slide the seal in the door for the glass out of the way. From there, the glass should drop right in. Once bolted in place, if you need to install the window seal, roll the window all the way down, install the seal. This is a good time to install the trim at the base of the glass too. Roll up the window and make sure all works smooth.

Thanks for this advice, however the problem I`m having is dropping the glass in. with it being the estate, the glass on the rear door is almost square, and however I offer it in, it won`t slot into both sides. Surely I don`t have to remove the rivets on the outer trim and take this off?

Incidentally the front glass went in much more easily due to its almost triangular shape.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lewie, that is why I am saying that you need to remove the rubber seal that the glass sits in before installing the glass. This will give you the room you need to slide the glass into place. From there, you can bolt the glass to the lift mechanism. Once the glass is secure, then you can lower the window all the way down, slide the bottom edges of the seal back into place, get them situated, then you can place the rest of the seal where it needs to be.